Lovely Adam Lambert on audience ‘surprise’ & why he uses fame for good

Adam Lambert on stage with Queen (Photo Credit: Neal Preston)
Photo Credit: Neal Preston

Photo Credit: Neal Preston

Adam Lambert has spoken out about the audiences he witnessed as he recently performed across North America with legendary rock band Queen.

The vocal powerhouse has also revealed that he has big plans for the next year, many of which involve using his talent to raise awareness and inspire people. Head inside for all the details….

The tour of North America with Queen may be over but there are still other parts of the world including Australia and New Zealand who are counting down the days until they get to witness the magic on-stage.

Lambert spoke with The Backlot and revealed that one thing he loves to do, is take a minute to stare into the crowd and enjoy the diversity of the audience.

Adam Lambert on stage with Queen (Photo Credit: Neal Preston)

Adam Lambert on stage with Queen (Photo Credit: Neal Preston)

He explained that the age and cultural differences between his and Queen’s fans, always makes an evening for him.

“I think seeing the diversity in the audience is always a big surprise to me, and makes me feel great,” he explained.

“I saw women, men, young, old, white, black, it was very diverse, and that was one of the most gratifying things. It means you’re connecting with everybody.”

Lambert also admitted that he felt “honoured” to perform songs in the place of the late great Freddie Mercury.

The Queen and Adam Lamber tour has begun

The Queen and Adam Lamber tour has begun

During the same interview Adam discussed how he wants to use his celebrity status for good and how he tries to be involved in raising awareness for issues he believes are incredibly important. The star has worked with a number of LGBT charities since he first shot to fame and has become known for his philanthropic nature and outlook.

He sees that as one of the biggest roles in his career it seems.

“I always want to have something going in that realm, I think it’s really important,” he said, adding that as an “out celebrity” he has an opportunity to try and “influence people”.

Adam also wants to “open their minds, or give them strength, in both the gay community or the mainstream straight community.”

As always we want to hear your thoughts so get in touch with us in the comments below and check out a live performance of Adam and Queen from their North American tour.

1. Sherry on August 9, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for this article always makes me feel good to read a positive story about Adam Lambert. I respect him as a singer, performer, actor and as someone who sets as great example for our youth. He has gained millions of new fans in the past few years most are teens which is important. Looking forward to many more years of seeing Adam with Queen and hearing his own new music.

2. Susan on August 9, 2014 at 6:34 pm

No one, including Adam, should make the assumption that the older fans in the audience are mainly there for Queen. Many of them are long time fans of Adam because we know a great entertainer when we see one! Some fans follow him all over the U.S. and other countries, attending multiple concerts when he is on tour. I think Adam knows that, so perhaps the interviewer read something different into Adam’s comment about diversity than he intended.

3. Trudy on August 10, 2014 at 12:34 am

@Sherry: He has gained so many new fans because of this successful tour. Let’s hope they are around when the third cd is released!! We are looking forward to the next Adam solo tour already.

4. terry on August 10, 2014 at 3:47 am

I dont think anyone made assumptions about ages of fans – of course some of Adam’s fans are going to be older and by the same token, some of Queen’s fans will be young people. The article and Adam were talking in general terms.. Must Adam’s fans get all sensitive over EVERYTHING they perceive as a slight against them personally and why do older fans ALWAYS seem to want to make a big deal of their ages? Who gives a flying potato what age who’s fans are – the IMPORTANT point was about diversity NOT older fans.

5. me on August 10, 2014 at 3:57 am

I’m old and my friend passed out. I just drew all over his face with what I *believe* are washable markers. OMG LOVE ADAM & QUEEN!!!!

6. magsmagenta on August 10, 2014 at 9:28 am

Both Queen and Adam have a wide range of diverse fans, and both sets of fans are extremely passionate. Also there was already a major crossover of fans even before they were playing together with many being fans of both, that crossover can only have got bigger with this collaboration.

7. Susan on August 10, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Terry- No need to get all flustered and overgeneralize with “EVERYTHING” and “ALWAYS”.
    If you go back to Adam’s original quote in THE BACKLOT, he was talking about the diversity AMONG all the audience members, “among” being used to compare things that aren’t distinct. “Between” is used to compare distinct groups. Using “between” in this article implies that it would be possible to tell the difference between Adam’s and Queen”s fans by looking at them, which is NOT what Adam said. My intention is not to be the grammar police, but we do have different words for a reason. Shades of meaning and implication are important when we speak and write.

8. WindyJocelyne on August 10, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Thanks to interview Adam I like him so much, first he dont afraid to talk about de diversity and his so honest. He’s a great singer with and amazing voice and The Band like Brian May and Roger Taylor know’s that Adam are the most beautiful voice in this world and the quality he have for interpret the songs of Freddie. He dont like to juge peoples and he tried to educate more peoples for understand in the world the young peoples suffer because nobody want listen them…and he just tried to explain that to all the world. So I love Adam because you know what you get with him is a beautiful man inside and outside. Love U Adam from Montreal.

9. Lauriellen (@lolpsychic) on August 11, 2014 at 3:29 am

When I became an obsessed Adam Lambert fan I also became friends with this awesome and diverse fandom. I now have friends who are all different colors, sizes and ages. Adam has taught and inspired me to love people’s souls, not their flesh. AND (I now use “and” instead of “or”)we ALL party together.

10. Robert P Taylor on August 11, 2014 at 4:39 am

Queen arranged a Two way contract. For when Brian And Roger Need his services to sing with them while on tour or making a record and Adam Own distinctive Solo. Career when Adam can Just Let his hair. Down Awhile and say……Queen?…Queen who??……..which is just so utterly FAN tastic!!!

11. Jacky Westoby on August 11, 2014 at 4:06 pm

If he’d stop advocating the wearing of real fur, he’d be doing a lot of good for the animal world as well.I used to love and admire him, but I think anyone who wears fur is just cruel beyond belief.