BBC vows to fight ban on airing The Riots: In Their Own Words
The BBC has vowed that it won’t give up its fight to air drama documentary, The Riots: In Their Own Words.
The programme should have gone to air last Monday, however a last minute injunction prevented the corporation from airing the show which was a two-parter in which the events of last August’s riots were reconstructed by actors.
The show was pulled from the schedules after a judge, who can’t be named for legal reasons, issued the order, which states that the programme must now air “by any media until further order.”
As mentioned, the docu-drama is based on last year’s riots, which were sparked when 29 year old Mark Duggan was shot dead by police…
The Sun reports that the BBC “would not comment” on the type of court order that was issued, but a representative did confirm that the corporation’s lawyers are now “working on legal arguments” for an appeal against the ruling. That may be lodged with the courts today.
A BBC source said, “We are not giving up on this and are intention is very much to show this programme as soon as we can.”
The paper adds, “More than 270 people involved in the riots were interviewed anonymously for the BBC programme, with their experiences being portrayed in two films…
“Actors then listened to the recordings through earpieces and repeated the verbatim for added authenticity to the script by playwright Alecky Blythe.”
In a statement about the debacle, the BBC said, “A court order has been made that has prevented the BBC from broadcasting the programme The Riots: In their own Words tonight.
“We will put it out at a later date.”
Wow, and here’s me thinking we live in a democracy where censorship is a thing of the past. Evidently I was wrong.