BBC’s Our Girl returning for second series? Lacey Turner could be back!

Our Girl

Our Girl

Last night saw the series finale of BBC drama Our Girl airing on BBC One and many fans have taken to Twitter to plead with bosses to renew the show for a second run.

The show stars Eastenders actress Lacey Turner in the lead role of Molly Dawes, a young woman who joins the British Army in a bid to turn her life around. The shoe began with a one off special last year, which was so well received that a full five part series was commissioned and began airing in September 2014.

In the first episode Molly was stationed in Camp Bastion in Afghanistan and in last night’s finale she returned home, you can read our full review of the finale here, but beware, it contains plenty of spoilers.

Since last night’s show aired, Unreality TV have been bombarded with comments from fans, many desperate to have the series renewed.

Lacey Turner

Comments included:

“BRILLIANT !!!!
Need more series as the BEST program ever!
LOVE IT 🙂 must be another series !!”

“Has to be another series how brillent was this hucked on a Sunday night all actors where so good at what they did deffo need another longer series bbc x”

Molly Smurf

“This series had both myself and my 15 year old daughter hooked from start to finnish. Great story line and excellent acting from all involved. There is soo much still to tell. So please BBC there simply has to be a second series. With the original cast of course. (Captin James could so be Mr Grey in 50 shades, he’s bloody sexy!)”

“I have LOVED watching Our Girl, completely hooked & will be gutted if there is not a second series!!!! Crush on Captain James too 😍😍”

“We watched Molly grow up literally in front of our eyes! Superb story, superb cast and The BBC will be silly if they do not recognise what a gem this series is. Well done to everyone involved…..particularly Lacey x”

Meanwhile writer and creator Tony Grounds revealed during a Twitter Q&A that while it was ‘too early to say’ if the show would be back, he’d ‘love’ to return to the world of Molly Dawes.

What do you think TV fans? Leave your comments below…

Molly Smurf

1. Geri D on October 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

Wasn’t sure at first but as the characters unfolded and the action started-I was hooked. Edge of the seat stuff. Cpt James/Smurf had a great bond of mutual respect and raw medic Molly brought another dimension. As the series developed, so did she. Learning to hold her own but keeping her cheeky irreverence! How could Smurf not love her and Capt. James – Aah! With her new found confidence she realised that nothing, or no-one, was beyond her and to watch his initial dismissal of her slowly developing into respect and then falling for her was a master stroke. The smouldering chemistry was something else! He is gorg! And… he respected her decision to go back and put her ghosts to rest, waiting for her to come back. Romance is not dead! Loadsa plot lines for a new series-commission more ‘Auntie’ we need Molly and James

2. Chris C on October 20, 2014 at 9:28 am

Great Show. Need a second and third series please!!!!

I’m Army Trained and this was the closest thing I have seen to the Life of a Soldier. Brilliant Reality and great Basic Truthful Layout to the whole Plot. There is so many Ways that this Series can expand and show exactly how hard and Wonderful life can be as a Serving Soldier. More Please!!!

3. jess on October 20, 2014 at 11:36 am

Brilliant series !! Theres got to be a second !!
    Had me hooked !

4. mary on October 20, 2014 at 11:37 am

Brilliant hope they make new series and we see her back SOON

5. Jane Browne on October 20, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I hope there will be another series of Our Girl they have left it open on the last series. Where Molly Dawes was greated by Captain James in the door way I think they need to make another series.

6. Teddy on October 20, 2014 at 12:54 pm

THis one’s the best Mr Grey:

7. lucy on October 20, 2014 at 2:27 pm

i think and hope there will another series because at then end if you watch it on play back it says 3months later whens she comes back from the army again and goes to visit captain James (Charles) it was the best program ever really need another series now

8. lucy on October 20, 2014 at 2:27 pm

i think and hope there will another series because at the end if you watch it on play back it says 3months later whens she comes back from the army again and goes to visit captain James (Charles) it was the best program ever really need another series now

9. Linda Wells on October 20, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Fantastic series. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope there will be a second series

10. Carla on October 20, 2014 at 5:18 pm

loved this I was hooked please let there be
    Another series and want to see Molly with captain
    James they must stay together x

11. gavin on October 20, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Hooked from start to finish

Never mind should their be a second series should be 4 or 5

Best tv show for a very very long time

12. Natasha ifill on October 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I have enjoyed this so much never want this to end can’t wait for it to start again xx

13. Claire on October 20, 2014 at 10:12 pm

This was a fantastic series. My hubby watched the pilot and I wasn’t convinced to start with. Oh how that changed! I have to say BBC that this is exactly the kind of drama that makes me pay my TV licence. If you don’t take them back for another series, at least, then you’ll have a fair amount of unhappy viewers on your hands! A superb script and whoever did the casting should get a bonus!

14. Zoe on October 20, 2014 at 10:14 pm

please please please please please please and please again can we have more series!! This has been one of the most amazing tv programmes there has ever been! there needs to be more so please make more :)not much can entertain Britain with the programmes that are on these days

15. Elinor Walley on October 20, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Such an amazing series. Loved every minute! Really portrayed the life of a female soldier well and I’m sure there is plenty more to tell- as well as seeing what happens between Molly and captain James, mmmmm, Getting that bit of romance in! Definitely need a series 2/3/4 keep it going. And Lacey Turner and all actors involved were super!

16. helen on October 20, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Brilliant from start to finish shame it was last one last night please do another series sunday nights will be boring now

17. Nude nut on October 20, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I loved our girl from start to finish I am only 13 but it still really made me think, me and my friend couldn’t stop talking about it, we both really want a second and possibly third series, for many reasons including but not limited to: caption James is fit af, so is corporal Kinders, it’s actually amazing and is good for all ages, me and my dad love it and I need more Molly i mean come on who couldn’t like her, she’s sarcastic and witty and even though she says she didn’t go to school she still knows how to burn someone

18. Annie on October 21, 2014 at 12:16 am

One of the BBC’s most compelling Sunday night dramas to date. If there isn’t a follow on to this ìntriguing storyline it will show that the BBC really doesn’t listen to its viewers! C ‘ Mon guys – we HAVE to know what happens to the feisty Molly and sey, lovable James aka Charles! !

19. Lacey T on October 21, 2014 at 12:36 am

Can’t say too much at the minute guys. As nobody is sure but me ben and tony plan to sit down together next month and DISCUSS the possibilities. I am thrilled at all the lovely comments. It means a lot that you fell in love with Molly. Just like I did.
    Lace.

20. Christine Cashman on October 21, 2014 at 2:38 am

lacey you and BEN are amazing hope you both come back for another season,of course stay together,it’s about 2am and I,m watching” our girl”

21. mik's on October 21, 2014 at 8:36 am

It’s amazing how this series caught us the public and how we rooted for Molly Dawes. No doubt because of the great writing and superb acting of Ms Lacey Turner.

Well done Lacey you did us proud.

Now start working on Tony to get series 2 going. I am sure the Beeb realise now that we the public won’t settle for anything less.

22. Bob. on October 21, 2014 at 9:16 am

I would like to add my hopes to the growing outcry, BBC bring back Our Girl and be quick about it.

23. Derek on October 21, 2014 at 9:47 am

BBC would be mad not to commission another series. They have a comprehensive hit on their hands. Almost everybody I know watches it and the happenings in the last episode are always a topic of conversation.

24. Anne on October 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Absolutely LOVED this series – please make another with both Molly & Capt James who is HOT, HOT, HOT

25. Millie V on October 21, 2014 at 2:29 pm

TV, I have always said should be banned until I watched the first episode of Our Girl! I am overwhelmed by the encapsulating nature of the plot lines and eye-opening detail of this series. I was glued to it. Every Sunday at 21.00hrs the place for me had to be glued to the TV watching every little detail of Molly’s experiences unfold. I’m now poised at the ready to see Our Girl come back for another spine tingling emotional roller coaster ride series. Please, please, please let Molly’s future story be told! It would be simply amazing! Congratulations to the writers, actors and team that made this series happen, it has moved me deeply so much so that I know that I am a better person due to watching this series, thank you…. Series 2 now, please???

26. moira on October 21, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Brilliant,superb acting all round,
    and the script was so realistic.
    how do i get the music track..?????.

please come back soon molly..

well done lacey..

27. Bonnie on October 21, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Wow, what an absolutely fantastic series its about time that the British Army got some air time! Thumbs up to the BBC, but I have to say you would be foolish not to make this a permanent sunday night fixture as most programmes aired on a Sunday is pretty dull! Well done Lacey and the rest of the cast for quality acting! Hurry up BBC and bring it back!!!

28. sally f on October 21, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Needs to be another series I loved it so much, military is something close to my heart so have watched all the episodes without fail, I too wanted to be in the army but fell pregnant with my son so couldn’t join, want to see more of molly so sad that smurf died though x

29. Miks on October 21, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Moira

go onto this website of the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/Our-Girl

its the scripts but lists all the music thru out. I did it the hard way and shazam’d. If only I had waited.
    Aldo Ben Foster did the interludes so you can listen to that via a link on his twitter account.

30. Pam Newman on October 21, 2014 at 10:56 pm

We were hooked by last year’s one off and couldn’t wait for this series. Brilliant acting by the three main characters. Lacy has proved that she is not only a brilliant actress but that she can put herself through gruelling training to give reality to the part. Surely the BBC MUST do a second series as the twists in the final episode leaves Molly’s situation wide open. With all the new characters in Eastenders whilest at one time Lacy was almost holding up the soap on her own, I am sure she could be spared for a second series of Our Girl

31. Terry stow on October 22, 2014 at 1:21 am

Our girl series 1 was freaking awesome i absolutely loved it so come on bbc make a series 2 and trust me if you have not watched it give it ago as its bloody awesome one off the best programs I’ve ever seen and the best series the bbc have done in years

32. Derek on October 22, 2014 at 7:45 am

Once in a while a TV series really gets to you; makes you think about a whole load of issues. This was was such a series. I’m still thinking about it 3 days after the last episode!!Fantastic acting, directing, use of music and production values which made you, the viewer, part of the event. Series 2 is an absolute must.

33. Mik's on October 22, 2014 at 9:12 am

Derek

I so agree. Last night I watched all five episodes back to back.
    Now I am being picky and see all the continuity mistakes. For example Molly is wearing two medals after Smurf’s funeral when you see her at home but, she has only one at his funeral.
    coffee cups in the restaurant and then no coffee cups, and that leg cast!

I am willing to overlook them because the series and storyline had me hooked from episode one. But we need perfection next time.

There is something that really resonated with me about this story and thats what caught each and everyone of us who kept tuning in. And several days later are still talking about it. The BBC have a hit and we demand a series 2.

But we need Captain James back in action. This actor can carry the storyline on his own now. We want him and Molly to take a journey together and be happy but we also want action and drama. So it makes for an interesting combination.

I also cannot wait for him to meet Molly’s parents, they are the funniest duo. Brilliant acting.

34. Derek on October 22, 2014 at 9:33 am

“We’ll think about it” Typical BBC! If this was an ITV drama, negotiations for another series would have been announced already.

And if the BBC had put this series at a different time they would have had record viewing figures. No, they had to go head to head with Downton. How crazy is that.

35. Derek on October 22, 2014 at 9:45 am

Miks

I agree that the continuity person needs a severe talking to!

But as far as the medals are concerned, I took the scene of her looking in the mirror with the extra medal as being after the presentation at the palace NOT after the funeral. I presumed that she received the Military Cross some time after the funeral. So had no problem with that scene.

As for the leg thing; I wondered if he had been injured in both legs but haven’t checked Episode 4 to check. Perhaps I’d better not!

36. mik's on October 22, 2014 at 10:27 am

Good catch Derek I had not thought of that but of course that then makes sense. I guess they tried to cram so much into that hour. If you read the scripts online they were in Cyprus for weeks so we really raced thru time.

Maybe the left leg was injured. The thing is they kept panning back to the right leg. But, there was a lot of blood around. So maybe he took a hit there too. Its funny if you read twitter a lot of people picked up on that but overlooked it because it was such a great episode.

They just need to ensure that this does not happen for next series (I am being positive I can’t imagine the BBC will say no). We will be watching for these mistakes. Check all chin straps are done up and everyone has gloves on for entire scenes please.

I really hope its not head to head with something like Downtown. Hard to beat that for a lot of people. For me I just recorded that. I was more taken with Molly escapades than Lady Mary’s!

37. Tish on October 22, 2014 at 11:02 am

I finally caught up with Downton yesterday. Thank goodness I didn’t bother with it on Sunday as its really getting a bit tedious and I used to quite like it. However, it seems that a little bit of Our Girl has spilled into Downton as one of the characters in a restaurant scene uttered “Ditto” which gave me a laugh.

38. Bob. on October 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

The one thing that has bothered me throughout Our Girl is that when they are on active service not one of them is wearing their identity tags round their necks,i was under the impression that the tags were to be worn at all times on a deployment,perhaps i am out of date, but on Bluestone 42 they all are wearing them, by the way Bluestone 42 is a great way to ease the loss of Our Girl until the video comes out next month.

39. Bob. on October 22, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Tish you remarking on the Ditto in Downton,did you notice the way Captain James wife looked up when Molly said ditto to him in the hospital

40. Bob. on October 22, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Tish your mention of ditto in Downton recalled to mind the way Captain James ex wife looked up when Molly said ditto to him in the hospital.

41. SANDRA G GLASGOW on October 22, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Loved The Programme, just sorry that Molly and Smurf
    never got to Vegas together, hopefully there will be a follow up.

42. Tish on October 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Yes, Bob, it obviously rang a bell with her. It must have been one of their little sayings in the past. She clearly suspected there was a bit more to their relationship than just ‘Boss’ and Medic.

In the same scene I liked the echo to the Rosabaya moment when his little son, Sam (according to the script) checked that his message was still written on his dad’s arm. It was a nice little touch.

Actually taking a look at the scripts has been really interesting, particularly the character directions given at certain moments. It also demonstrates just how much actors bring everything alive. The words alone on the page can seem quite dry you really need to have the imagination to visualise what is happening (it’s like studying Shakespeare at school and finding it really dull and then seeing it performed and finally getting it!). It also shows just how much everything else contributes to making a production successful, the photography and music etc. Its a big undertaking but its been well done (continuity errors aside!) and has clearly touched a lot of people.

43. Georgina on October 22, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Hope theres another series going to unfold, I also was hooked to the first our girl. Really good series hope it returns.

44. Mik's on October 22, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Tish

I so agree on the scripts. I also have read them. I would love to have been there when they did the table read thru for episode 5.
    Must have been quite emotive for them.

45. Liz on October 23, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Loved our girl and would love to see what the future holds for molly and capt James. Please please please commission another series!

46. Kerry Ann on October 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Excellent Series, want to see more, Please bring it back on our tv’s and soon 🙂

47. Emily on October 24, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I took the ex-wife’s look after Molly said Ditto as realisation of something between them, that being because a private would address her Captain as Sir or boss… So she would have replied “You too Sir” or “You too boss”. That’s what the ex-wife’s look was for because she realised through that.

I am absolutely hooked on this series, can’t stop watching the episodes back. It’s quite clear that Our Girl has captivated the audience and there’s an incredible demand for a second series, the BBC are crazy if they don’t bring it back. Plus they will anger a lot of viewers!

48. karen on October 24, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I absolutely loved this series just watch it on I player BRILLANT!!
    please,please we need a second series as soon as possible bring
    Back capital james and molly they are brillant together,give me our girl any day better than Downton!!

49. Derek on October 24, 2014 at 6:46 pm

If we can encourage popularity of the series in the US that may be an influence on the BBC for a second series. It is available (in Region 2 only) in the States through http://www.amazon.com but only Miks and myself have commented (5* of course). 2 comments looks a bit weak for a drama that is the no.1 bestseller on UK Amazon. The more the better, so do go and leave a comment; it only takes a few minutes. Sufficient demand will mean release in the US and that could be the clincher!

50. geri on October 24, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Derek can you be more specific on the link for the States which you said was Region 2 only. Went onto Amazon link you showed but nothing came up except some US dvd’s?? Am sure loads of people would make comments if you can post a direct link

51. Derek on October 24, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Here’s the link:

52. helen on October 25, 2014 at 5:34 pm

A week on and its not getting any easier. I have been watching the whole series at least once or sometimes twice a day. Really miss it, can’t believe its not on tomorrow. As Molly would say just feel sad. I have read every script, downloaded the music and now got pictures of Ben on my phone. I’ve joined twitter to try and find out about a new series and beg the bbc for a xmas special but no response. I feel like i’m going mad, obsessed and I really must stop, but can’t as Mik said I have tried going cold turkey and not watching but everytime I am drawn back to the tv to watch more. Please bbc put us out or misery and tell us there will be another series and when.

53. T on October 25, 2014 at 7:29 pm

NEEDS TO BE ANOTHER SERIES there’s no much more they can do with the characters

54. geri on October 25, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Check out these links and click on each one – good viewing
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/3GymWEDzumc. Very interesting reading twitter and Unreality, that people have become obsessed with the series and are continually watching back to back episodes, and experiencing a sense of loss that its finished. That’s a great credit to Tony Grounds writing,and how he has brought the attention of our troops to the fore. The way he wove the romantic coupling of Dawes/James into the story was a master stroke, such chemistry. That their’s is a ‘forever’ love,with James allowing Dawes to follow her dream, but being there when she returns, opens up some great plot lines for a follow on series. Again the way that this relationship has unfolded is reminiscent of 40’s style film romance with everyone on the edge of their seats waiting for ‘the moment’ (and wishing it was their’s!!) Great acting from Lacey Turner, Ben Aldridge and Iwan Rheon. I’m sure Danny Cohen won’t disappoint

55. billie on October 26, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Absolutely love our girl, out of all different programmes ive thought have been good like on itv etc, they have not even come close to how brilliant our girl is! Watching it over and over again, even pre-ordered the DVD! Its a brilliant story and based on what we see as potential real life situations with young people. As a young person my self i see this as inspirational of turning life around! Absolutely hooked on such a fabulous story! Would be foolish if this story wasnt carried out for a few more series/episodes. Im in love with it, bbc and the producers have a lot to think about although will be silly if they dont see the potential in doing more series! love it!!! #ourgirlforthewin

56. Derek on October 26, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Does Jeremy Vine on Points of View know something? He said that although there was no news yet about a second series, given the universally positive reaction to Our Girl he’d be “surprised if it didn’t return”.

Lets hope he’s heard something on the grapevine.

57. Anne on October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Have watched all five episodes,which I recorded on Sky, every day this week and can`t believe its over. I have never felt so involved with a programme like Our Girl before. It feels particularly special as today is the day our troops have handed Camp Bastion back to the Afghanistanian Army. The casting and the storylines were perfect and have left many openings for a further series – PLEASE BBC!!!

58. Rina begum on October 26, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Loved our girl right from the beginning, I thought it was really good and I really hope they make more series.

59. patricia martin on October 26, 2014 at 9:14 pm

our girl should receive televisions equal to an Oscar. superb acting all round. bbc drop eastenders and have 4 times a week our girl.loved it, perfect tv.

60. Derek on October 27, 2014 at 10:57 am

My wife’s assessment of Ben Aldridge:

“One of the most gorgeous men she has ever seen”

Slimmer than Colin Firth
    Nicer hair than George Clooney

Second only to her all-time favourite – Robert Redford in his prime!!

61. Mik's on October 27, 2014 at 11:45 pm

AH Robert Redford in the way we were….. Best looking man ever fact

62. lmds on October 28, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Can’t stop watching it. I keep crying at it. Love this movie would be a shame if they didn’t make another series. Love captin james and molly.

63. bethany on October 31, 2014 at 6:42 pm

has to be anther few series

64. Connie on November 1, 2014 at 1:09 am

I loved our girl . There has to be a follow up , it was bril !!!! The best !!!!

65. Anne on November 4, 2014 at 9:05 am

Has anyone watched the dvd yet and how is it? Can`t wait to get home to see mine. How good is it?

66. mik's on November 4, 2014 at 10:19 am

Anne

Mine has still not arrived. Email from Amazon said it would be here Monday. but, it never came 🙁

My mother meanwhile could not talk to anyone last night as she spent the entire night watching her copy that had arrived on time.

🙂

67. Anne on November 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

Hope your mum enjoyed it and that yours arrives today. I`m still watching the youtube clips to keep me going. Heard Captain James and Smurf interviewed on Radio Manchester yesterday – CJ is going to do some filming in Canada and then doesn`t seem to have anything else at moment (so would be available for new Our Girl??!!!!!!!!).