Benedict Cumberbatch believes that Sherlock Holmes was totally in love with Irene Adler

One of the most memorable scenes from the recent series of Sherlock, was when Benedict Cumberbatch came upon Lara Pulver’s Irene Adler totally naked.

The stunning actress recently revealed that it took her eight hours of shooting to get the single scene perfected – though we think there was an opportunistic crew member at work there somewhere – and admitted that she was incredibly nervous about playing Sherlock’s so called love interest, in case she offended fans.

In a new interview, brooding Benedict – who plays the role of the legendary detective in the BBC drama – has revealed that he believes Sherlock fell for Irene’s charms in the original novel which features the temptress.

The star – who has since landed roles in the major Hollywood movies Star Trek Two, The Hobbit and Twelve Years A Slave – said that although the crime fighter is often portrayed as ’emotionless’, he is sure that in fact Irene made him ‘vulnerable’ with her womanly wiles.

Cumberbatch explained:

“Well, he’s supposedly an asexual, emotionless machine, and has cut off feelings of attraction or sensory enjoyment or interest in the female form other than to gain information.

“So it was how to get the audience to believe that you could possibly be in a position that was vulnerable – how could he possibly be feeling something for this woman?”

The 35 year old added to The Sun:

“But the thing about (Irene) that is very obvious when you read (the 1891 short story by Sherlock’s creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in which the character first appears) is Sherlock definitely does fall for her and he does lose his cool.

“He’s no longer the logical machine. He fell for her charms.

“And so it was a balancing act, but it was so deftly written (by the show’s co-creator Steven Moffat) that it was so easy to do.”

So will there be more romantic overtones in the new series? Well Lara recently admitted that she would be open to returning to the show when filming starts in early 2013 and revealed that she would be happy to be a ‘one episode wonder’ once more.

Thankfully, while Pulver may be returning for the third series, Benedict certainly is and has revealed that he wants to stay on the show for a long time and would like to eventually portray an older Holmes than we are used to seeing on screen.

Do you think Sherlock loved Irene, or is Cumberbatch just acting the hopeless romantic? Leave your comments below and if you’re a fan, then you should definitely check out this great fan run Facebook page for the show.

1. hol on June 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I hope Benedict has some romantic scenes in series 3

2. Kealiee on June 25, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I certainly hope he was just playing the hopeless romantic!

3. Ucche Nnodim on June 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

its silly to guess the emotions of a fictional character…perhaps we’re better off just asking Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

4. Emma on June 28, 2012 at 12:30 am

I don’t think whatever he felt for her was love. Yes, she interested him intellectually, she was a challenge, but I don’t think it was anything more than that.
    And I don’t think Irene loved him either. From her part it was obsession, lust, but not love.

5. janet on July 2, 2012 at 3:30 am

If Benedict believed it was love, then we, as viewers, have to believe it was love the way Sherlock can feel it. Afterall, he acted it the way he interpreted it. The way he wrapped his hands around her phone in the final scene and avoided eye contact with John, I thought it was love. He seemed small for the entire episode. Quite unlock Sherlock. I am hoping to see Irene Adler again in Season 3. My friends who are Sherlocked too, feel the same!

6. Wolf on July 5, 2012 at 6:02 am

Okay yea. Lets ruin the series by bringing her back and adding the romantic crap. Why not?

I will be forced to quite watching when they do that crap. She was in one damn story, which is over, and only mentioned a couple other times. She has NO need or right to come back.

7. Emma on July 19, 2012 at 2:26 am

The title of this article is wrong—he never said that Sherlock “loved” her, at least not in the quotes published here. Either way, Benedict is entitled to his theories, but if it’s not in the show it ain’t canon. Whatever he failed to convey to the audience is his problem.

8. Jess on July 19, 2012 at 4:10 am

Nooooooo! :'( Soon as I read the title my heart dropped! And then reading that she may possibly be coming back…well now I just want to cry!
    It wasn’t love, it just wasn’t! “/

9. Emily on August 3, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I, in no way, believe Sherlock was “in love” with Irene. THE BARELY KNEW EACH OTHER!! If she comes back and there’s a romance, I will cry. I personally don’t like Irene. She betrayed Sherlock. Why should he love her and take a romantic interest in her? :/ It wasn’t love, it was interest. Perhaps even confusion. Irene SHOULD NOT come back. She should be gone for good since Sherlock rescued her. THat’s just my opinion.