Brian May gushes about Adam Lambert & reveals he once feared Queen would never perform again

Adam Lambert on stage with Queen (Photo Credit: Neal Preston)
Could Adam Lambert and Queen headline Glastonbury 2015? Photo Credit: Neal Preston

Could Adam Lambert and Queen headline Glastonbury 2015?
Photo Credit: Neal Preston

As you know, Queen have enjoyed an incredible amount of success (and still do) over the years, and recently, that’s in part thanks to American vocalist Adam Lambert.

And while Freddie Mercury was one of a kind, it’s safe to say Adam Lambert brings his own flare to the Queen party as vocalist for the band, and that’s something that Brian May admits was the deciding factor in bringing Adam on board with the iconic group.

Over the past few years, Queen have performed with the vocalist frequently, and with a huge tour of North America taking place this summer, and a European tour set for next year, Adam’s role with the band is now one that’s well established and evidently set to continue indefinitely.

Guitarist Brian May (and drummer Roger Taylor) have always been full of praise for Adam Lambert, and speaking with Classic Rock Magazine’s radio show, May explained that none of the success the group are currently experiencing would have happened if Adam didn’t fit in with the group so well.

Photo Credit: Neal Preston

Photo Credit: Neal Preston

May explained: “We just thought, ‘My God, this guy can do it’. The final piece of the puzzle is that he’s a nice guy. If he was a sh*t it wouldn’t be fun and it wouldn’t have happened.

“He’s a good guy; he’s fun, he’s entertaining.”

May went on to say that Adam is full of ideas for the band, and rather than just listen meekly while everyone else discussed changes for their performances, he would start  discussions about issues such as the setlist by saying, “Look, how about we try this?”.

The Queen guitarist then stated that coming up with the material for the tour was akin to a “birth process” and added that he was grateful to be still out there doing what he loves best.

Continuing to discuss how Adam has given the band a new lease of life, he explained: “Suddenly we’re in the same arena again, if I can use the metaphor.

“How incredible that we can still do that and people still want to come and fill those arenas… It’s very uplifting.”

Meanwhile, the group collected the Band of the Year prize at the Classic Rock Awards earlier this week (Tuesday) so a huge congrats to them for that.

Check out Adam Lambert as the frontman for Queen below and let us know what you think. Has Adam given the band a new lease of life? Are you excited to see what’s next?

Adam Lambert & Brian May (Photo Credit: Neal Preston)

Adam Lambert & Brian May (Photo Credit: Neal Preston)

Get involved with us by commenting down below or don’t forget, we’re on Twitter and Facebook where we’d love to hear your thoughts about this story and much more!

Related: ,

1. melody on November 8, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I saw Queen with Adam Lambert in concert here in the U.S. The show was super amazing.

It’s not everyday that you get to see a collab. with one of the greatest bands ever and IMHO, the best singer of this generatioin,together on the same stage .This is a marriage made in heaven.

This concert is not to be missed…

2. LoveQueen on November 8, 2014 at 2:14 pm

What a great article. I just love Brian May and Queen. Saw their concert this past summer in Columbia, Maryland. It was THE BEST concert I have ever been to (and I’ve been to a LOT). Hope they come back again to the U.S. – once was not enough!!!! LONG LIVE QUEEN + ADAM LAMBERT 🙂

3. cathysidol on November 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I am such a fan of both Adam Lambert and Queen, this collab has turned out to be a perfect match! Lucky to see several Queenbert concerts along the east coast this summer “Best Concerts of My Life” I have come to love Bri & Rog and feel that Adam has made them a band again to be deserving of Rocking all those beautiful Arenas once again. Btw this in NO WAY means Adam can not continue with his Solo career, and he will do so ! #Queenbert is Icing on the Cake !

4. Alfred on November 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Adam is a Masterpiece. his Creativity is Very high. His Vision is from future back to Present. Real ARTIST.

5. Leonardo Alphonso on November 8, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I’m Afraid that Adam Lambert Next Album (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th..and so on..) Will Gonna be “Best Album of All Time” or “Best Album of The World” bcoz, look at his Trespassing (2nd) Album.. he is the Principal Writer. If he can do that kind of Album. he can unleash the secret of Music. (To The GREATEST)

6. BrightMuseOFire on November 8, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I’ve been a Queen fan since the mid 70’s, but never had the chance to see them live and I’ve been an Adam Lambert fan for a little over a year now. I’m not an Idol fan, so I was a little slow in finding out what an incredible singer Adam is. I was lucky enough to see their concerts this summer in Philly and AC. Adam fronting the band was the main reason why I bought tickets for the first Philly concert, but the show was so amazing that I had to see them again, so I got tickets to AC as well. They were the two best concerts I have ever been to.
    Adam Lambert is also a one-of-a-kind singer/entertainer, and hopefully the constant comparisons with Freddie will now subside after winning this award. Adam Lambert is the best male vocalist I have ever heard, I cannot get enough of hearing him sing. There really are no words to fully describe how amazingly moving and almost spiritual it was to hear and watch Adam Lambert belt out Who Wants to Live Forever, and also The Show Must Go On and Love Kills. My previous favorite concert moments just seem to pale in comparison. Of course, Adam’s rendition of Killer Queen is also unforgettable. Brian and Roger are amazing musicians and they have such great synergy with Adam on stage. I would love to see them issue a blu-ray of the concert and to also produce a new Queen + Adam Lambert album. Brian, Roger and Adam are a musical match made in heaven.

7. Internetos on November 10, 2014 at 3:06 am

Adam Lambert is one of the GREATEST singers of our time and he fits perfectly in this group. He made Queen sound and look cool, appealing for all generations and made us want more and more of this BRILLIANT collaboration. A match made in Heaven!

I hope Queen will start recording new material with Adam Lambert.

8. DrakulkaCZ on November 10, 2014 at 10:30 am

I am glad for all of them to win this award. They are perfect. I am looking forward to see them in Prague. That will be one of the best show in my life and I´ve seen a lot of great shows till now. This will be a masterpiece!

9. pr64 on November 10, 2014 at 1:36 pm

saw the show at Mohegan sun and it was absolutely beyond incredible. I didn’t want it to end. adam and queen are made for each other, and the best part was, they all seemed to be having a ball up on that stage. adam is not Freddie; he never wanted to be Freddie. adam is adam, and is paying tribute to one of his idols and influences. the band is continuing to play iconic music that should never be forgotten. hope there will be new music and more tours and television!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

10. Breathless on November 11, 2014 at 3:03 am

I’m blessed with enough history and musical background to know that when I hear Adam Lambert, I’m hearing the best tenor on the planet. You simply have to hear him live. My universes collided when he fronted for Queen this summer. How wonderful to see an entirely new generation rocking out to their music. I will always love, adore and admire Freddie Mercury. He would have been in the front row to hear Adam sing. He loved classically trained vocalists….he would have loved Adam.