Yesterday marked an incredible 16 years since Britney Spears released her most notorious track to date, ‘…Baby One More Time’.
To celebrate the pop gem’s 16th anniversary (that makes us feel so old!) we’re revealing 16 surprising facts about the song that launched the career of Miss Spears.
1. Britney actually heard the demo for the track, and recorded it, in the space of 10 days whilst in Sweden.
2. ‘…Baby One More Time’ hit #1 on every chart it appeared on. That’s means it hit the top spot on 21 charts!
3. The song spent an incredible 32 weeks on the US Billboard chart, including two weeks at #1.
4. Max Martin, who has produced hits for Kelly Clarkson, Celine Dion and the Backstreet Boys, received songwriting, producer, recording, audio mixing and background vocals for his input with the song.
5. The track got Spears her first ever Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
6. ‘…Baby…’ is one of the only tracks to make the set list cut on all of Spears’ concert tours.
7. It was actually Spears’ idea to wear school girl uniforms for the song’s music video. The outfits were a last minute decision, and were bought from the local Walmart.
8. The hit was the last song played on ‘Top Of The Pops’ of the 1990s.
9. Though it was officially released 16 years ago yesterday, the song wasn’t actually sent to US radio until October 23rd 1998.
10. Widely considered one of the best-selling singles of all time, it has sold over 10 million copies worldwide.
11. In 2000, Rolling Stone and MTV named the track the twenty third greatest pop song since 1963.
12. In some countries, the single was released alongside the track ‘Autumn Goodbye’.
13. The song came in at #1 on the UK 1999 year-end chart and #25 on the UK ‘All-Time Chart’.
14. The music video was filmed at Venice High School in Los Angeles, which was also the setting for Rydell High in ‘Grease’.
15. Jam! named the music video for the single as the third most influential in the history of pop music.
16. The song was originally offered to the girlband TLC, who declined it.
16 years on, and Britney Spears is still the Princess of Pop!