Radio 1 DJ Fearne Cotton will be leading the proceedings as she hosts The BRIT Awards Nominations Launch Party. Fearne will be announcing the eagerly anticipated nominations to a star studded audience of critics, tastemakers and artists, as well as viewers at home. ITV2 will house the live performances, as well as reactions from newly nominated artists, gossip and comment from backstage.
Kooky newcomer Florence and the Machine, who recently signed to Island Records and is currently working on her as yet untitled debut album, will perform alongside Australian pop starlet Gabriella Cilmi whose album Lessons To Be Learnt was phenomenally received in 2008. Finally, Scouting For Girls will be proving why they are one of the UK’s favourite indie pop bands as they perform at The BRIT Awards Nominations Launch.
The nominations for eleven awards will be announced at The BRITs Nominations Launch Party. For the third year, the finalists for the British Single Award will be voted for by listeners of UK Commercial Radio stations and The Sun Bizarre column readers. The winner of the British Live Act will be decided by listeners of Radio 2 and the British Breakthrough Act will be voted for by Radio 1 listeners. The BRITs Academy will be voting for the remaining eight awards.
The BRIT Awards 2009 with MasterCard categories are:
• MasterCard British Album – Voted for by The Academy
• British Male Solo Artist – Voted for by The Academy
• British Female Solo Artist – Voted for by The Academy
• British Group – Voted for by The Academy
• British Single – final five nominees voted for by UK Commercial Radio station and The Sun Bizarre column readers. The winner is voted for live on the night by public phone vote.
• British Breakthrough Act – The top five will be selected by The Academy and the winner will be chosen by BBC Radio 1 listeners.
• British Live Act – The top five will be selected by a specialist panel and the winner will be chosen by BBC Radio 2 listeners.
• International Male Solo Artist – Voted for by The Academy
• International Female Solo Artist – Voted for by The Academy
• International Group – Voted for by The Academy
• International Album – Voted for by The Academy
• British Producer Award – voted for by the Music Producers Guild and awarded on February 12th at Cafe de Paris, MPG Awards.
• Critic’s Choice – Florence & The Machine – Voted for by a team of experts made up of music critics from national newspapers, major music magazines and music websites, as well as heads of music at major radio and TV stations.
• The Outstanding Contribution to Music Award – Pet Shop Boys – gift of the BPI Council.
Ged Doherty, Chairman of The BRITs Committee said: “The Nominations Launch party has firmly established itself as a major night for music in its own right. It’s a great platform for Florence And The Machine to show why she has won the Critics Choice Award this year, while the presence of Gabriella Cilmi and Scouting For Girls will ensure a vibrant and exciting night for all. We thank ITV for their continued support.”
The Academy is made up of more than 1,000 specially invited members from across the breadth of the UK music industry: music critics, music writers, online and student press, major and independent record companies, retailers, music TV and radio producers & presenters, music publishers, artist managers, live concert promoters, NUS representatives and DJs. The Pet Shop Boys will be receiving the esteemed Outstanding Contribution to Music Award at the BRIT Awards 2009 with MasterCard, Florence & The Machine will also collect the Critic’s Choice Award, at the show on 18th February 2009 at London’s Earls Court, broadcast live on ITV1.
Tuesday, 20 January 2009, 8:00PM – 9:00PM ITV2