As the Jimmy Savile scandal deepens, comedian Jim Davidson has claimed that within the near future, a “Savile number two” household name celeb will be unmasked as a predatory paedophile.
Writing on his personal blog, the comic said that the person – who he hasn’t named – is, “A bloke who’s a loner, dresses and acts like a nonce and thinks he is the most important person in the world.”
And of the allegations against Sir Jimmy Savile, Jim said, “Hmmm. I knew… and didn’t do anything.”
He added, “Mind you, I had no proof. To me he was just another pervert. There are lots of them in showbiz.
“There seems to be more gay ones than straight but that’s because there are probably more gays in showbiz than most professions.
“Who’s next to be the victim of a media feeding frenzy? I have the answer to that…
“But, like Jimmy Savile, it’s only rumours. But when these rumours come out… WOW!”
He also slammed the BBC over Monday night’s Panorama, which looked at the corporation’s failure to expose Savile and his alleged child abuse on the broadcaster’s premises.
He wrote, “How come the BBC can make a programme blaming the BBC? It’s like having yourself arrested and then being your own prosecuting barrister!
“The BBC has finally gone mental.
“This hot bed of leftyness has asked itself the question: ‘Should we have known?’ The answer is ‘yes’. We all knew, didn’t we?’’
Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror reports that arrests in the Savile case are “imminent” and it’s understood that several celebrities will be questioned with regard to allegations of child sex abuse.
Police Commander Peter Spindler, who’s heading up the inquiries, told the paper, “I have no doubt that we are in watershed moment for child abuse investigation and this will be a landmark investigation.
“I want to praise the courage of the 300 or so who have come forward.”
The paper adds, “The celebrities named by victims – some huge household names – are set to be quizzed over serious sex assault allegations within days. Other suspects who have been named are believed to include former BBC staff.”
Revealing the “arrest strategy” that’s been drawn up by his 30-strong team of Metropolitan police officers, Commander Spindler added, “There is Savile but there are also others and if those others are living we can now look at them.
“We are dealing with a major crime investigation here.
“There’s Savile on his own, and that’s the vast majority of what we’re being told about, there’s Savile and others.
“And it’s the others, if they’re living, we can look at them. Then there is a third category which is ‘others’.”
A source added, “It is now to be determined how seriously these claims should be taken.”
It emerged yesterday that Savile had been investigated for an alleged sex attack – which reportedly took place on BBC premises – in the eighties.
A retired police officer has apparently come forward to say that he carried out an inquiry, but there wasn’t enough evidence to prosecute.
Of that, Mr Spindler said that his officers were “trying to find” the file on the case, but had so far been unsuccessful.