Doctor Who 2014: What happens next? Will Peter Capaldi make a good Time Lord?!

peter_capaldi

With all this excitement about the upcoming Christmas special which will be sure to set off a few tears, I thoughts I’d talk about what I’m expecting when it returns next year with a brand spanking new Doctor!

It was announced early this year that the Christmas Special will be Matt Smith’s final adventure in the Tardis, leaving the path clear for Peter Capaldi to take his place. Whilst many fans weren’t to thrilled about it, I think it was needed. Firstly, Capaldi isn’t too old to be the doctor – he’s the same age William Hartnell was when the show first started. Ironically, this is happening in it’s 50th anniversary year all over again…

I think the show needed a change, and before you start yelling at me in the comments, hear me out. The show got ridiculously silly, when it was amazing it was just that: amazing, but some of the story lines just got a bit tedious and a bit…bleh. You know what I mean? We need to give the Doctor a reason, something which the 50th has given. They’ve given the doctor a reason to be travelling. I think it was perfect.

The show’s format just didn’t work last year, with the split. I personally think they should have done what David Tennant did in his final year; have the 5 episodes with the Pond as special throughout the year, and then have the rest of the season start back up with Clara instead of having a hiatus just like the Americans. I mean I know it’s doing super well in America which is great but it’s an English show, don’t go all American on us now. We’re paying for it.

doctor who cybermen

I hope they go back to their old format because it worked, it was brilliant and I looked forward to Easter and Spring because of Doctor Who. If they are going to have a break, let’s not make it a 7 month break shall we? It was a tad too long, by then most people had forgotten what happened within the series.

I think Capaldi will bring it back it’s former glory, it will be scary, it will be epic and brilliant ( I hope) we won’t have silly story lines that have nothing to do with aliens wanting to wipe out entire planets. It’s great, I think it became too soap like. I hope the stories will mature and make kids afraid of Doctor Who again, because I think it’s best when that happens. When you sit down knowing you’re going to get scared out of your wits, you can then breathe a sigh of relief when the Doctor saves the day.

Hopefully I’m not on my own here, tell me what you think!

doctor who daleks 2

Watch the Doctor Who Christmas Trailer here:

Don't miss a story: Follow Unreality TV

15 Responses to “Doctor Who 2014: What happens next? Will Peter Capaldi make a good Time Lord?!”

1. Neil says:

Less running about….

Do you remember that scene in indiana jones where he faced the guy with the swords and just shot him.

Thats sort of what i want from Capaldi, an older, wiser, doctor that just gets it done, not running away from explosions and stuff….

2. sammy says:

Huh? many fans were NOT thriled about it?? YES, they were! The Hardcore Whovians Love it.

3. Christina Romana says:

Will a new regeneration of The Master be appaering in the new season?

There’s a youtube clip going around, that’s had over 14,000 views so far, of the apparent next ‘regeneration’ of The Master
    who will be facing off against Capaldi in the forthcoming eighth series.

According to several tweets by tweeter ‘@jamesstoker1963′ The Master maybe returning for the Christmas episode and beyond.
    He’s tweeted the youtube audition clip with these details:

“I got this apparent audition clip from a youtube user account IzzyAlive (which now seems to have been deleted) who claimed: “A friend of mine in an actors co-operative agency got sent this clip with 4 others in an email that they’d been ‘CC’D into when casting another show I can’t mention.
    The other 3 clips were relevant to the show they were casting but this one was marked:

‘The Master DW2014′ (Moff select final review clip).

I don’t know who the actor is but maybe they’re going with an ‘unknown’ to play The Master after casting a ‘known’ actor in Peter Capaldi to play the 12th Doctor?
    I guess we’ll find out soon enough”

You can see the clip at: youtu.be/x4F4GpGTaQM

The Bells of Trenzalore Fall Silent, My Friend
    As The Time of The Doctor Comes To An End…

4. Annie says:

I don’t know if I’m alone in saying this – and if I am I will own up to it – but I really enjoy the contrast that the more recent show has: it parallels of terrifying and just plain silly which really seems to be more true of the Doctor(s)ever since the beginning of the show. That is, however, just my perspective.

5. Jewels says:

I personally believe there needs to be humorous story lines. I think Matt Smith did this very well. He is, and always will be, my favorite doctor. I am 100% not thrilled that Matt is leaving!
    I don’t like the time gap in between the episodes, but I love how they do the Christmas Special because most shows end until January so I have Doctor Who to be excited for.

6. julia says:

The Doctor is several hundred years old, he needs to be eccentric.. I,personally,love the silliness..

7. David says:

100% spot on. The Christmas episode just confirms in my mind what I have been saying for a while now: Moffat’s got to go. Matt Smith was an AMAZING Doctor but 90% of his stories were freaking lame. Moffat did him no favors as the showrunner. With the exception of the 50th Anniversary episode, there was no episode of Smith’s run that compared to the brilliant storytelling we enjoyed during Russell T. Davies’ tenure. Matt Smith deserved better. Moffat tried too hard to make it a kiddie show again and that bled all the scary out of it. Doctor Who needs to be part horror, part comedy, part sci-fi, part drama. Now I can only hope that Moffat doesn’t fuck up Capadi’s run and kill my beloved Doctor Who.

8. MrMega says:

Agree with the stupidity of the extremely long breaks. Is it because there are just no stories or because people are just so lazy they do not want to work?
    There’s not that many episodes per year as it is.

Not the most intelligent way to ring in a new Doctor that already has quite a bit of mixes emotions over.

9. Patrick says:

Matt had only just came into his own, He was in so many ways Human, You could see small glimpses of when he was afraid or worried hidden by his silliness. He was the best, He should of stayed for many more years. He remade Dr who. So said to see him go

10. Tom says:

I was born in England in 1965 to a family who already watched Dr Who since 63. We moved to the states in 69, I am now 48 and have not missed any of the episodes available in the US (some took a long time to see!).

I do like David Tennent as the Doctor, but I think that Moffet has been “americanized” in his method of story creation (hopefully not from pressure of the upper mucketymucks)
    It started to feel like “general hospital cliffhanger in space” and not Dr WHO.. and a few too many aces up up the sleeve / convoluted story lines making a future Dr who watcher not able to see as many stand alone episodes as you could in years past (watching them years in the future).

Don’t get me wrong I have enjoyed most of the Tennent years episodes, but there should be convoluted story lines (as a part) WITHIN a lot more stand alone adventures. It is the variability of the worlds, aliens, and situations that MADE DR WHO something to wait up for (when I was a kid) and never so much inferred love interests as in recent years.
    No I don’t think the doctor should live in a “loveless universe where he has no partners”, but as much as we (male) watchers were interested in the scantilly leather clad Leela, the DR was not and that made it different from most of the fodder on TV then…and now.

11. Sue says:

I am not thrilled with the change. I’ve seen Peter Capaldi in other productions and don’t care for him.

12. Penny says:

I am looking forward to Peter Capaldi’s reign. I first started watching Dr Who in 1963 though I took a long gap in the Sylvester McCoy etc years. I think the romantic story lines with the last two doctors were a mistake – sometimes it felt like watching a soap opera or maybe Dr Who meets Mills & Boon. I can’t imagine Peter Capaldi’s doctor getting caught up in that – particularly having seen his arrival in the Christmas episode!

13. Gilly says:

Noooooo not happy with new doctor. David Tennant and Matt Smith fab, loved the silliness! Watch the ratings drop fadter than the tardis.

14. Rob says:

Tennant and Smith were great. The little love triangles added a sense of human reality to it. Anyone as old and wise as he and yet still youthful and energetic would be silly.

I enjoy Dr. Who more for the humor than the scares… I never thought of it as a horror film, but more as comedy. So I disagree again there…

A change maybe, but I don’t know about this new Dr. Who. Someone more like Tennant and Smith.

15. Mike U says:

I grew up watching Doctor Who with my mother. Tom Baker was always my favorite Doctor from the original series, but I really liked David Tenant. When Matt Smith took over, I hated him. He seemed too cocky, too arrogant.

But, over the past three years, Matt’s Doctor really grew on me. To the point where I found myself actually feeling a bit choked up watching the Farewell to Matt Smith. I am genuinely sad to see him go.

That said, I’ve loved the writing of the Doctor Who 2005 series. The plot twist with River in “A Good Man Goes to War” was epic.

css.php