Doctor Who: Fans furious that 50th anniversary trailer was shown at Comic-Con!

david-tennant-doctor-who

After the first official trailer for the much-anticipated 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who was shown to the fans at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, fans everywhere have complained at the unfairness.

As we reported last week, during the popular cult event, a private screening of the trailer was shown with strict warnings to all not to let it be leaked on to the internet, with show runner Steven Moffat stating beforehand:

“One thing is very important, this is a Comic-Con exclusive. It is only being seen here at this time on this day. If this goes online, if the sound goes online, there will be no more Comic-Con exclusives from ‘Doctor Who’ or ‘Sherlock.'”

But, luckily for us blog.zap2it.com has described some of what they saw, stating on their website:

“It opens with the Eleventh Doctor’s line ‘I’ve had many faces, many lives. There’s one life I’ve tried very hard to forget…’ and launches into a frenzy of ecstatic “Who” action involving Daleks, Rose, Clara, the Tenth Doctor, the Eleventh Doctor, an all new creature and John Hurt’s mysterious new Doctor (i.e. that life the Doctor has tried so hard to forget).

“Ten and Eleven have a sonic screwdriver-off, Rose warning “the moment is coming,” and an awe-inspiring scene of Ten, Eleven and Hurt’s Doctor all walking together to face down… something.

“You’ve redecorated,” the Tenth Doctor tells Eleven inside the new TARDIS. “I don’t like it.”

“The trailer closes with the ominous warning that the Doctor will face “his greatest threat … himself.”

Doctor Who - 50th Anniversary Special

But, whilst Comic-Con attendee’s couldn’t believe their luck, many fans who couldn’t make it have been left with a very bitter taste in their mouths after the apparent favouritism, despite those at Comic-Con having spent a lot of time and money getting tickets to the elite event.

Social networking sites have been inundated with angry rants about the situation, so much so that Mark Jefferies, Deputy Showbiz and Tv Editor at the Daily Mirror has released an article in Radio Times explaining his thoughts on why this was.

The article was an opinion based piece, but included the following information at the bottom:

“I do have some sympathy with UK fans wanting to now see it. I am one of them. Our licence fee makes the show. And what harm would it do putting it up on a BBC website now? Comic Con have had their exclusive.

“From what I am told and have read it was a brief clip, not a proper trailer, and the BBC want their first trailer of the film to be a more polished and slick affair.

“They are also promising that UK fans will get lots of treats about the anniversary in the coming weeks and months. One member of production told me I just “have to be patient”. So I expect them to rush something out soonish to calm the current fury.

“Ultimately though, all those people most angry will still watch the feature-length episode when it comes out.

“And if the Comic Con stunt attracts a few more Americans to get hooked on Who, they’ll probably think it was worth all the hassle.”

Are you angry that the trailer was shown at Comic-Con first? Leave your thoughts and comments below:

1. Desariella on July 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I was not at Comic Con, but I am not angry.
    I live in Canada.

THose that are “upset” at teh trailer being shown at Comic-Con, are probably also upset that the UK is getting this huge big celebration in November that most (if not all) of us ‘overseas’ viewers can not afford to attend.

PS: Check out my DW:Fan-Fic “The Aresian Saga”. Just Google the title and click on the keepandshare link.

2. Louie on July 25, 2013 at 1:22 pm

For a MAJOR and HISTORICAL ENGLISH television show to have it’s FIRST trailer (so far) shown ONLY in AMERICA… that’s ridiculous… trailer should be put on the BBC site or Youtube. We’re hungry and it’s time for us to be fed!

3. Dan on July 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I am not angry there was an exclusive although I think any exclusive should of been in the UK.
    Those guys at comic con queued for hours and paid good money, good luck to them.

My objection is that it should of been released across the internet after this exclusive, people would of accepted 48 hours or some other smallish arbitrary length of time.
    Folk in the UK not only pay for the show but pay Moffat’s wages so I find it pretty disgusting he feels it reasonable to deprive us of the trailer for this length of time.
    I just can not see how it is fair on any level but I guess fair went out of the window when Who struck gold in the US.

BTW. How is it the license fee never reduces despite the massive profits made with shows like Who and Sherlock and all the merchandising that goes with it?

4. Jack on July 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm

1) This is absolutely ridiculous. I’m not so angry that it wasn’t shown in the UK, just that we’re now not gonna get to see it. Ever.
    2) The “all new creature” is a Zygon, featured in the classic series. I’m sorry, but this is making me just as angry as the whole Comic-Con fiasco.

5. Alex on July 25, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I think it’s unfair that they got shown it. I live in nz and we get everything doctor who late and we don’t get much celebration. Why should UK and the US get all the doctor who there are other fans too!!!!

6. THEMASTER on July 29, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Moffat only cares about America has anyone noticed the british feel of doctor who episodes is gone.The episodes seem more like an american tv show.He was targeting America from the beginning

7. Irene on August 5, 2013 at 4:17 am

I think it’s rather ridiculous that they won’t post the clip online. I mean seriously, what would be the harm in it? As an American I’m kinda ticked off that the common misconception flying around the web is that if you live in America you automatically are able to get off work, cross the country, and dish out thousands of dollars in between. We here on the east coast might as well be across the pond in Britain. (How I wish I could have gone, but you Know we can’t all be so lucky). They should just post on line to sooth the hurt/left out feelings. We’re all Whovians and we should have equality.