matt-smith

Rumour has been rife for months now that Doctor Who star Matt Smith will be leaving the show, but of course, in a to-and-fro in the media, it’s been denied then rumoured anew…

But today, The Sun exclusively reports that Matt – who’s played the Doctor for four years –has indeed quit the role and will leave the show during this year’s Christmas special.

We’ll therefore see the Doctor regenerate into the 12th Time Lord, but of course, the big question is, who’s going to take over from Matt?

More on that in a moment, but first, as to why Matt’s leaving the show, the paper states, “The actor has made no bones about his ambition to crack Hollywood and has filmed new movie How To Catch A Monster with Ryan Gosling, which is released next year.”

Apparently, Matt’s contract expires in November, and he’s told the show’s executives that he won’t be renewing it.

However, during an appearance on Jonathan Ross’ chat show last week, Matt didn’t mention his departure from the show, saying instead, “I am very happy doing it. I do the anniversary special, then the Christmas special.

“At the moment it’s 2013 and we will see what 2014 holds.”

A show insider said, “Matt has told bosses he wants to bow out at Christmas.”

doctor-who-matt-smith-jenna

And last night, the BBC said in a statement, “Sorry folks but even we don’t know what’s going to happen at Christmas. It’s not been written yet!

“But Matt loves the show and is to start filming the unmissable 50th anniversary, and the new series starting on Easter Saturday.”

So on now to who’s set to replace Matt, and the paper reports BBC bosses “already have someone in mind” to become the new Doctor…

Benedict-Cumberbatch

TV Biz then suggests that Sherlock and Parade’s End star Benedict Cumberbatch could be in line to replace Matt on the show. Also on the list of possible candidates are actress Helen Mirren and actors Alex Jennings, Rory Kinnear and David Harewood.

Who would you like to see as the new Doctor? And do you think the 12th incarnation of the classic character should be a woman?

And finally, are you sad that Matt’s going?

Here’s a look at what we now know will be Matt’s last series…

Don't miss a story: Follow Unreality TV

15 Responses to “Doctor Who: Matt Smith HAS quit the show and will exit during Christmas 2013 special! Will Benedict Cumberbatch be the next Doctor?”

1. helen says:

If Cumberbatch could play the role in big feature films then yes I’m all for him playing the doctor. I’m enjoying seeing his film career take off and dont want him tied to a tv series as that would give him little time to do anything else.

2. Kat says:

No, Cumberbatch will not be the next Doctor. He’s got so many other projects going on and Sherlock fans will be up in arms if they have to wait another two years for series four.

3. Raven says:

Cumberbatch won’t play the Doctor, he’s already an icon for Sherlocke and doing plenty of other things outwith that.

They would need to give fans something fresh to play with. Although I don’t believe The Sun is a reliable source to quote from. As far as fans of Doctor Who are concerned until the BBC or Matt Smith himself says anything, there is no chance of there being another Doctor just yet.
    Besides Matt Smith can easily juggle any career in Hollywood with Doctor Who. If many other actor’s can do it, then so can he.

4. merridith says:

Rupert Grint!! I know I want The Doctor to finally be ginger =D

5. Maria says:

I’ll wait till its confirmed by Matt Smith and the BBC that he will leave. Honestly these reports are kinda contradictory since Matt had said he loves the show as he had said recently on Jonathan Ross’ show and once said he would he an “idiot,” to leave on the anniversary year. I guess the only ones who know what the real story is is Matt Smith himself and Steven Moffat. Personally I want to stay 1 more series.

6. Bonnie says:

Why would anyone suggest Benedict would take over the role of Dr. Who just sort of shows lazy journalism. Guess they have to find a story somewhere but he is, as said, already an Icon as Sherlock Holmes so why would he do another t.v. series that would make him the lead when he already has one. Besides he’s got more movies lined up and by the end of this year with his performances in 3 movies he will have more added to that.

7. Najoie says:

Benedict has said that many time he didn’t want to play The Doctor. He’s stated that he wanted is work to stay his work because you know how Doctor Who has all the little merchandise and shirts and dolls. He was good friends with David and they talked but it was nothing more. And with the publicity of the new Star Trek Into Darkness movie and the current filming of Sherlock’s third series he wouldn’t have the time. Two shows and doing tours for a movie? While finishing up voicing Smaug? Adding a TV show to that aside from what he said would be very difficult.

8. Derek says:

It’s kinda useless to predict the next Doctor since it seems like it will be another nobody. But anyone who thinks Benedict Cumberbatch will be it is just plain crazy. Sherlock fans are still waiting on season 3, and he was predicted to be number 11 last time. Plus, he’s outright said in interviews before that he didn’t want the part.

9. Derooftrouser says:

Would this be the same ‘The Sun’ that said Matt would be quitting in 2011?

The same ‘The Sun’ that said Matt would definitely be the Doctor throughout 2014?

10. Bobbi says:

Do want to say that there have been a number of actors who have not been what people consider the “accepted handsome” through the years and have been very popular and been attractive to women. There can be the most handsome guy on earth but if he doesn’t have personality or depth or intelligence to him as a person that is it..he just looks good.

11. Rsteady says:

I agree that the Sun is not the best source but also based on the previous doctors don’t expect such a young actor as Matt Smith to hang around too long risking being typecast.

Nor do I expect a well know actor or actress to take over the role, although would love to see Helen Mirren or Judi Dench take the role by the neck and shake it about. Cumberbatch has too many irons in the fire and we all wish him well with that.

Looking forward to a 40 plus actor/actress playing the part as the Dr is a complex character and IMHO the recent trend of younger and younger doctors is more an affectation of commercial concerns than anything else. I think Matt does well as the Dr but as seen in his first season it took time for him to grow into the role and make it his own. I don’t think that would have been an issue if he had taken the role on as an older more mature actor.

12. StetsensAreCool says:

NO FEMALE DOCTORS!!!!!!!!That’s just to awkward and wrong!!! I don’t mind the age changes between the actors playing The Doctor, but a gender change would be just to much!! Besides, (especially since they’d have to live up to David Tennant’s AND Matt Smith’s reputations) a woman just couldn’t have the right personality. AND!!! Aren’t we forgetting about River Song??? She can’t be in love with a girl!! I know they had Captain Jack Harkness (who I wouldn’t mind seeing come back into the show) be half-gay, but that does not at all mean that River can be lesbian!! (I’m not necessarily against gays or lesbians or both, but I do have my rules about whether or not my favorite characters can be any of the above) It would be just so wrong that I couldn’t watch the show anymore if The Doctor were a woman!!!

P.S., I’m not just saying The Doctor can’t be a woman because I’m against females or anything. I am a female! I just wanted to make sure nobody got the wrong idea about why he can’t be a she. :) Oh, also, DAVID TENNANT SHOULD COME BACK!!!!!!:D

13. StetsensAreCool says:

I <3 Christopher Eccelston, I <3 David Tennant, I <3 Matt Smith, I <3 The Doctor!!! This show is so unbelievably amazing, and I would be so unbearably devastated if they ruined it by having The Doctor be played by a girl!!! :'( I mean, the name doesn't even sound right for females!!! (Also, I think a part of the reason I'm so against him being played by a her is because I didn't want to let go of David Tennant, and now I'm being forced to let go of Matt Smith as well!! Basically, they're taking my heart, tearing it out, spitting on it, putting it through a shredder, stomping on the shreds of my heart, and then pretending to try to put it back together, when what they're really doing, is throwing it into the furnaces of Hades!! I miss David…….:'( )

14. StetsensAreCool says:

Lol, one last thing I forgot…(Sorry!!)

Why Benedict Cumberbatch CAN’T be The Doctor:
    SHERLOCK=TIME LORD!?!?!? Does that math make any sense to anyone?? Cause it sure as heck doesn’t to me!! I mean, (and don’t get me wrong, I adore this movie to pieces!!) it was bad enough seeing Watson in The Hobbit. I was constantly thinking to myself: “Why the heck is Watson trading riddles with Golem???” I don’t want Benedict (as much as I love him as an actor, and especially as Sherlock [and whoever he plays in Star Trek]) to be The Doctor. I got over the whole Watson=Bilbo (or is it Frodo?? I always get their naems mixed up. ;P) thing, but I know for a fact that I couldn’t watch it if The Doctor were Sherlock (or a woman!) at all. I would die inside over and over and over again!!! :( I<3Sherlock. Please don't make me hate him because he ruined The Doctor!!! DON'T MIX MY TV SHOWS!!! It messes me up more than anything else!!!