Former BBC presenter, Stuart Hall, pleads GUILTY to 14 counts of indecent assault, with youngest victim just 9 years old!

stuart hall

After weeks of strenuously denying the allegations, former BBC presenter Stuart Hall has pleaded guilty to 14 historical indecent assaults against girls aged between 9 and 17.

The former It’s A Knockout and BBC Radio 5 Live presenter will be sentenced for the offences, which involve 13 victims between 1967 and 1986, with three further charges of indecent assault, and one count of rape reported by Digital Spay as being ” left to lie on the court file”, later this month.

According to the publication Hall pleaded guilty to the charges at Preston Crown Court on April 16, but it was only announced yesterday when reporting restrictions were lifted while the CPS were still debating whether or not the rape charge should go to trial too.

Nazir Afzal, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West said: “We prosecuted Stuart Hall because the evidence of the victims clearly established a pattern of behaviour that was unlawful and for which no innocent explanation could be offered.

“His victims did not know each other and almost two decades separated the first and last assaults but almost all of the victims, including one who was only 9 at the time of the assault, provided strikingly similar accounts.

“Whether in public or private, Hall would first approach under friendly pretences and then bide his time until the victim was isolated. He can only be described as an opportunistic predator.

“We have this week met with the woman who alleged that she had been raped by Stuart Hall, a charge which he has denied. The welfare of complainants is a top priority for us and we always take their concerns into account.

“In light of the guilty pleas already entered, the complainant no longer wishes to give evidence on the allegation of rape, and we have concluded that it would not be in the public interest to take steps to make her give evidence in court. As such, we will not be proceeding with this charge.

“I would like to thank the victims for having had the bravery to come forward. This case clearly shows that the victims of abuse will not be denied justice by the passage of time and abusers will be held to account.”

stuart hall

Hall’s Lawyer expressed his client’s deep regret for what he had done, and insisted he was very sorry adding outside the Courthouse:

“He is not a man easily moved to self pity but he is all too aware that his disgrace is complete.”

Recorder of Preston Judge Anthony Russell QC told Hall that he must sign the Sex Offenders Register.