Foxes Live: Wild in the City tonight on Channel 4

Foxes Live: Wild in the City is a brand new live interactive natural history event carrying out the biggest ever nationwide study into urban foxes in the UK.

Using cutting-edge technology, this ambitious project will assemble footage from state-of-the-art tracking technology, camera rigs and user-generated content to provide a fox-eye view of our cities. Every move will be followed with the help of CCTV cameras, GPS tags and mini fox cams that will follow the foxes’ movements; from under garden sheds where they sleep to the industrial estates where they mate.

No one knows for sure how many foxes live in the UK or whether the population is growing. There’s thought to be between 30,000 to 40,000 living in cities and between 200,000 and 250,000 living in the countryside. Some cities are thought to have as many as 27 foxes per square mile. GPS tracking will provide urban fox territory sizes in different housing densities and, with the public’s help, Channel 4 aims to make the most comprehensive estimate of the UK urban fox population. Channel 4 is putting the power into the hands of the viewers.

Anyone who owns a smartphone is a potential wildlife photographer and can contribute to new natural history research by taking part in the largest ever urban fox census. With the last study on urban foxes carried out over 30 years ago, Channel 4 will introduce brand new wildlife research and information, concluding with a public census. There has been an increase in recent press reports of foxes attacking pets and even people. Are they becoming bolder and braver than ever?

There is an urgent need to understand how this animal lives in our cities and if they can safely co-exist alongside humans. No other wild animal provokes such divided opinion. Foxes Live: Wild in the City will address and discuss public attitudes towards the urban fox. Experts will explore whether this mischievous metro-mammal deserves its reputation as a cunning creature of the night. They will answer live viewer concerns and address questions such as: do foxes attack? And are they afraid of humans? Public opinion will be closely monitored live on air to discover whether people’s views change once they learn more about this elusive creature. Veterinary expert and broadcaster Mark Evans (Inside Nature’s Giants) co-presents the three-part live series with Anita Rani (Four Rooms). There will also be daily fox updates from Tuesday 1 May to Sunday 6 May on Channel 4 (at 7.55pm on Tuesday to Thursday, 7.30pm on Friday and at a time tbc on Saturday and Sunday), where viewers will be kept up-to-date with the latest developments from the fox dens.

Tonight, 8pm, Channel 4

1. Eugenie Summerfield on May 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Newly published ‘Foxes for Ever’ by Eugenie Summerfield is a great read for everyone who loves these fascinating creatures It’s a fast-paced trilogy featuring foxes of the 4-legged and 2-legged kind and their adventures involving some very extraordinary animals such as a singing cat, a dancing snake, a tame tiger performing fleas and a Yeti – or two.

2. Linda Gaywood on May 7, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I have been feeding foxes morning and night for over 20 years both in the garden and over the fields where I walk my dogs. There are 15 cats in my bungalow and the 2 either side and we have over the years only seen the cats swipe the foxes. They will even let stray cats feed first. One has been in my kitchen several times since my dog was put to sleep and there are a couple over the country park that will take a dog treat from my hand more gently than my dogs ever did. As far as I am concerned people are too quick to call any animal vermin and stop to think what a lot of human beings are like. Fox hunters for instance are sick, cruel individuals who should be prosecuted. Live and let live, foxes have a hard enough life as it is.

3. patrick scanlon on May 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm

have 5 cubs in my garden and only noticeed themm last night as my other half said o god u got kittens in your garden i was angry then i see it was 5 cubs and have filmed them aand snapped a few pics struggling to up load videos at the min as laptop playing up but they was playing in the garden withh a football as soon as i sort my prob i wiill post

4. Tony lowrie on May 7, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Im a gamekeeper in the scotish borders and theres no better buzz than shooting foxes

5. Elaine on May 9, 2012 at 10:22 am

Tony Lowrie………………I feel sorry for you. You will never know the joy of WATCHING a fox go about it’s business & getting such pleasure out of feeding them. Such a sad little man you are.

6. Wendy Flay on May 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I was watching a late film last night and suddenly I heard a terrible screaming coming from my kitchen. I rushed to the kitchen thinking my cat Boo must have been terribly hurt but instead found a fox cub pacing by the cat flap. Boo is a very big cat and I could hear him outside growling so we had a stand off. I think the cub must have been anxious because he/she pooped on the door mat when it saw me. I had no idea what to do but I felt handling it was out of the question so I made soothing sounds and talked to the cub who eventually sat down and then then to my surprise lay on it’s tummy while keeping an eye on the cat flap and me. It looked well fed if a little dirty so I wasn’t worried it needed help. I tried to lure my cat away but it didn’t work so I decided to turn out the lights because it might comfort the cub and left them to it. Sometimes humans make things worse by their presence. Five minutes later it was gone. I certainly wouldn’t mind it returning if it can sneak in past my cat. Judging by the amount of mice my cat brings in I know there is a food supply for them that’s wild outside maybe that is why I have never noticed our bins being rifled. My house is very close to a railway line and I believe foxes like to use the embankments for travelling unseen about London.

7. jimmy on July 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm

ihave 3foxs in my garden they come out in day time an just sit there my wife scared an wont let my 2year son out