Our Girl finale review: Lacey Turner excels as Molly decides her next move (Spoilers)

by Matt D
Molly Smurf

Molly Smurf

READ: BBC’s Our Girl returning for second series? Lacey Turner could be back!

Over the last two weeks, I feel as though I’ve written the same thing about Our Girl; namely that two strong episodes have been let down by ludicrous moments in their final scenes. However, I have to report the opposite about this final instalment as I didn’t care too much for the first ten minutes or so, but then I felt it started to get going…

Although, judging from the comments about last week’s review, it appears that I’m in the minority when it comes to my lack of enjoyment of the romantic subplot, and there seemed to be a lot of viewers worried about the fate of Molly’s two love interests.

I feel part of the reason I didn’t particularly care for these opening scenes was because it felt like parts of the story Tony Grounds had to get out of the way. Molly’s initial trip to the military hospital and her troop’s subsequent deployment to Cyprus for decompression felt incredibly rushed. Similarly I found that Molly’s visit to the Birmingham hospital in which Smurf and Captain James were both patients was rather brief. However, these scenes did at least allow for the obligatory awkward meeting between Molly and the Captain’s ex-wife.

After complaining about how this love triangle had been handled by Grounds so far, I actually rather liked the way he dealt with it in this final chapter. I’m particularly referring to the way that, once she’s back at home, Molly spends some time with both James and Smurf, with differing results. A trip to the Captain’s hometown of Bath yields some home truths for both as one of them realises that they are not yet done with the army. Meanwhile, Smurf’s visit to Molly’s house, which is supposedly to plan their Vegas trip, is also brilliantly handled as he finally wises up to the fact that he can only be her friend.

The fact that the last few scenes of the episode feature neither men reinforces the fact that this is the story of a young woman who has finally discovered her purpose in life.

Lacey Turner

I think it was this theme that most of us loved about the original pilot, and I feel that Grounds has come full circle in exploring the character of Molly following her experiences in Afghanistan. What I thought was especially well handled was the issue of Molly’s constant flashbacks, which were superbly edited together and which made me think about what soldiers really go through when they return home from war. This was also perfectly exemplified through Molly’s inability to settle down at home, and her constant need to go running. I think that Molly’s struggle to find  calm and inner-peace is something that this episode goes to great lengths to portray.

Another story that Grounds focused on in this episode was that of Molly’s continued worries about Bashira, which I’ve found to be one of the series’ best plots. Grounds let us know that even though Molly had left Afghanistan, her quest wasn’t complete until she’d discovered that Bashira was truly safe. This plot also allowed us to spend a bit more time with translator Qaseem, one of the series’ most underrated characters, who aided Molly by attempting to trace Bashira’s whereabouts.

As Molly spent the majority of this episode back with her family, we were once again privy to some fantastic performances from the actors who portray the Dawes brood. It was great to see that, after our last visit to them, Molly’s parents are back on track and appear to be more in love than ever. From his making ice cream floats to emulate their first date to their general manner around each other, it was fair to say that they were as close to being as much of a happy family as possible.

As Belinda and Dave, Kerry Godliman and Sean Gallagher have relished their time on-screen as the working class parents of a daughter who achieved more than they ever thought she would. They brilliantly conveyed their characters’ pride over their daughter being honoured with an award for bravery, even if she didn’t quite think she deserved it. Additionally, I felt that Godliman, Gallagher and Ruth Sheen as nan perfectly played a family who didn’t quite know how to react to Molly’s behaviour. I was particularly a fan of Sheen’s one interaction with Molly after she received an e-mail from Qaseem. Sheen was great at portraying the confusion of somebody who would never quite experience the same horrors as her granddaughter.

Lacey Turner

Molly’s ultimate decision to go back to Afghanistan, in order to train the country’s medics, felt like the only way the character should go. Lacey Turner’s portrayal of Molly’s restlessness alluded to the fact that she couldn’t settle back into society the way that James or Smurf had planned to do. Molly’s return to Afghanistan also allowed Grounds and director Anthony Philipson to create one last thrilling set piece that had me on the edge of my seat. Everything about this final sequence was perfectly executed, so much so that I felt that Grounds should have ended things there instead of including that post-credits scene that hinted at where a second series of Our Girl may lead.

Whether or not this second series will materialise is really the decision of the bosses at BBC One, but I do feel that this first run has been popular enough to justify more from Molly. I particularly want to see more Our Girl thanks to the performance by Lacey Turner, who has been absolutely outstanding, especially during the series’ action sequences.

Aside from Turner’s excellent portrayal of a young medic, Our Girl has made a serious mark due to the fact that it’s totally different from any other BBC drama. The use of young actors, the lack of star names and the focus on the military offer a refreshing change from what the major channels often offer up on a Sunday night, and the BBC should be applauded for giving this a chance. Judging from the aforementioned comments I’ve received, it also appears that a large majority of the audience have become invested in Grounds’ characters, and I’m sure would be eager for another series of Our Girl.

I’d like to finish this review by thanking everybody for their comments, and it was great to hear some differing opinions about the elements of the series that I wasn’t particularly hooked on. Going into this final episode of Our Girl, I definitely had my reservations, but I loved how Grounds finished the series. I’ve always seen Our Girl as the story of how Molly learned to stand on her own two feet, and the fact that she’s now gone from student to teacher was a joy to watch. I’m now just crossing my fingers that a second series of Our Girl is commissioned, and I’m guessing a lot of you will be doing the same.

What did you think to the final episode of Our Girl? Would you like a second series?

Leave your comments below.

1. Clare Dobson on October 19, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Absolutely loved this series! Totally hooked! Got to be another! Looking forward to it already! 🙂

2. Carol Bridges on October 19, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Amazing!!! I will be very sad if there isn’t a 2nd series … great story and education!

3. nicola hutchings on October 19, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Amazing there has to be another series. Totally hooked.

4. cheryl on October 19, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Oh wow Sunday evenings won’t be the same.
    Can we have a Christmas special and another series pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

5. Fiona welcome on October 19, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Fantastic program loved every minute of Our Girl. Lacey Turner plated a brilliant part and portrayed her character very well. I hope to see that a second series will be made just hope they keep the same actors/actresses.

6. Liz on October 19, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Absolutely loved it! Lacey Turner should get an award for her acting she was amazing. Loved the scene in the kitchen between her and her mum it was so touching!

7. Claire on October 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Just brilliant please be another series! 😊

8. JB on October 19, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Loved the story of Mollies’ first tour – fitting into the team, facing the horrors of the Afgan field hospital, saving Smurf, befriending Bashira….except for the love triangle which just got annoying, peaking in episode 4.

I felt Smurf’s love for her and their friendship – ‘Best Mates’ was resolved in the last episode in finally a mature and realistic manner….well until he died minutes later. However, her relationship with Captain James was still ridiculous.

Please another series….but a lot less soppy please!

9. Rhianne on October 19, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Love love love this, gutted it’s finished again. Please please can we have more and as soon as possible please :0)

10. smurf on October 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm

There so has to be a 2nd series. Need to find out where Molly goes and how she and Charles”boss” go into the future (hopefully together, he can wait at home in Bath for her) they are perfect and he would understand her. Ooooooooooo has to be another series!!!!!

11. Alex Lawrence on October 19, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Fantastic series and dare I say Downton lost me to ‘Our Girl’ gritty drama that made me both cry and laugh out loud. Loved the building attraction between Dawesy and Cpt James (he is just gorgeous!!)superbly played out. The scenes in Afghan gave serious pause for thought and just a brilliant story about a girl that finds her purpose in life. Smurf was brilliantly played out, incredible acting and I defo shed a tear at the end. Please please BBC let’s have another series!

12. Stephanie on October 20, 2014 at 12:12 am

We watched Molly grow up literally in front of our eyes! Superb story, superb cast and The BBC will be silly if they do not recognise what a gem this series is. Well done to everyone involved…..particularly Lacey x

13. Vicky on October 20, 2014 at 12:18 am

I have LOVED watching Our Girl, completely hooked & will be gutted if there is not a second series!!!! Crush on Captain James too 😍😍

14. Dawn on October 20, 2014 at 1:15 am

This series had both myself and my 15 year old daughter hooked from start to finnish. Great story line and excellent acting from all involved. There is soo much still to tell. So please BBC there simply has to be a second series. With the original cast of course. (Captin James could so be Mr Grey in 50 shades, he’s bloody sexy!)

15. julie on October 20, 2014 at 1:30 am

Has to be another series how brillent was this hucked on a Sunday night all actors where so good at what they did deffo need another longer series bbc x

16. Derek on October 20, 2014 at 6:20 am

Superb rivetting stuff let down by the end of Episode 4 which was just plain silly. However that blip was forgivable, overshadowed by the superb acting and production values of the rest of the series.

Lacey MUST be up for an award for this, surely. And BBC would be crazy not to commission another series.

17. Ellie on October 20, 2014 at 7:23 am

BRILLIANT !!!!
    Need more series as the BEST program ever!
    LOVE IT 🙂 must be another series !!

18. Helen on October 20, 2014 at 8:54 am

What a truly fantastic series, totally Loved it, all the cast and the writing where just brilliant. I have been so obsessed with Our Girl I have been trying to find out about a second series and in the local paper in Leyton Buzzard, where some of it was filmed, it says they filmed a 10 part series so I really hope this means the next series is already in the bag. So happy that Charles and Molly got together it must continue to see what happens between them, as everyone has said he is truly fit!! but was also sad that Smurf died. Please please please BBC another longer series.

19. Vicky on October 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

Absolutely loved it. Highlight of my week. Got to be a 2nd series. As for Captain James, he is so hot!!!( I agree with Dawn’s comment, James would be great as Mr Grey). Him and Lacey are made for each other. Yes Lacey deserves an award. Well done the BBC. Please please please another seris.

20. carol on October 20, 2014 at 9:42 am

Brilliant from start to finish..hope there will be another series

21. teresa jackman on October 20, 2014 at 10:41 am

oh please bbc have another series. I really loved the pilot and this series as well. oh my god captain James is so handsome.I was a great fan of downton but I did not even look at this series…molly and James all the way

22. michelle grinsted on October 20, 2014 at 10:51 am

Loved it….please bring back molly and the lovely charles!!!

23. Patricia Moore on October 20, 2014 at 11:39 am

My husband and I absolutely loved this series and Lacy Turner plays the part extremely well. Hope there is another series so that we can see her get married to the Captain and settled down.

24. zara on October 20, 2014 at 11:47 am

Can’t stop thinking about this program, it really got to me both the love story and the horrors of what it must be like for our brave soldiers in afganistan. What an amazing cast of actors and actresses, especially Lacey who I loved in eastenders but this has to be her best performance to date, really hope she gets an award for this and hope it returns soon.

25. mags mcbride on October 20, 2014 at 12:19 pm

there as to a follow up next year to see how molly and charles develop they cant just leave it as it was .
    will be very disappointed if there isnt a follow up next year

26. Jean on October 20, 2014 at 5:22 pm

The chemistry between Lacey Turner and Ben Aldridge as Molly & Captain James was electric and so believable. Hopefully if there is another series they will be together and not broken up by the class difference. Have enjoyed every minute of the series Sunday nights will never be the same particularly the lovely Captain.

27. bron on October 20, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I loved our girl it was so different to what is normally on tv and the actors were brilliant! It teaches people what really happes in the army! I really hope to see another series of our girl fingers crossed

28. Mik's on October 20, 2014 at 6:25 pm

The beauty of this series was the wonderful young ensemble cast. A lot of young actors who don’t have a big profile so we had nothing to identify them with.

This meant we were fully engaged with them as their characters. Lacey and Iwan probably the only actors we really knew.

I also think that as a country we are much more cognisant of the military and what they are going thru overseas. So that had an added resonance with us the viewer.

The writing from Tony Grounds was superb and we really need to commend the team who picked the music to accompany scenes. I have downloaded quite a lot of them and the words have an added poignancy. Very clever.

I just don’t know what we will do without them now. Downtown has lost me this series.

29. Mel on October 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm

OMG there has to be another series I though this series was AMAZING! Sunday nights are not going to be the same! This was my fav programme of the year so sad that smurf died 😭

30. Brian Mallalieu on October 20, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Yes, we enjoyed most of it (rightly or wrongly?) because it appeared to give us a taste of just what it is like for those who went on tour to Afghanistan —- more than all the Hope for Heroes etc. Whether this was reasonably representative, only those who have been there can say. But it certainly made us appreciate and respect our heroes so much more both what they have to face out there and what they have to live through back home. Thanks indeed. Yes, more will be welcome. (But, tone down the romance please, which was at times unrealistic & detracting from the rest!)

31. Annie on October 20, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I’ve been watching this from Canada. It’s absolutely brilliant and I will be very disappointed if there isn’t a season 2.

32. Pamela Dear on October 21, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Please, please let us have a second series. I so enjoyed watching Molly grow and falling in love with Captain James but still being her own person. Wonderful story line.

33. Aden on October 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I already have withdrawal symptoms.
    Brilliantly acted from start to finish and a real insight into how tough our returning heroes can find it back on civvy street.

34. Margaret Dempset on October 21, 2014 at 5:38 pm

There has to be another series Sunday nights will not be the same without Our Girl
    It showed us a insight to what really goes on in Afganistan the writing was superb the cast were amazing Molly and Ben were meant to be together Congratulations to you all and thank you for Our Girl!!! Please let there be another series!!! X❤️🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

35. Gill on October 21, 2014 at 9:16 pm

was this not the second series as I remember watching the 1st series where they went through training??

36. tom on October 21, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Must try rosabaya coffee , if its good enough for captain James . Wow what a relief . Well done molly , you finally got your man . The dashing captain James . What a difference from the insecure “do you love me” scene to the new found confidence ” miss me ” scene . Lacey turner is absolutely wasted in eastenders . Can’t help but to be happy for captain James and private dawes . Bossman you need to stay in the army for there to be a second series . Please please let there be a second series .

37. tom on October 22, 2014 at 12:58 am

My wife cried her eyes out for molly , my eyes also turned to water . I think we all went on a journey with molly . It’s true you don’t know what you lost until you lost it. So a goo man or women will come along once in a lifetime if you are lucky . Did not realise how much I love my wife until I watched our girl

38. A.V. on October 22, 2014 at 10:53 am

Excellent programe. Molly Dawes a terrific, heroic character who ploughed her own furrow – a wonderful role model.
    One reservation – she embodied the argument that women should NOT be in the front line in combat because the men fighting with her would instinctively protect her before dealing with the enemy. I know it was the emotional conflict in this case, and it was she who dealt with the enemy (wonderful plot twist!), but both Smurf & Cap’n James went on about protecting her with their lives.
    Dilemma. Generally, I don’t want our young male soldiers’ lives put at risk because of this situation.

39. Jo on October 22, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Where do I start? This programme has been excellent from start to finish. The story lines had us on the edge of our seats, the brilliant soundtrack, the acting by all the cast was fantastic, but was absolutely superb by the three main actors, Lacey Turner, Iwan Rheon and Ben Aldridge. You really came to care for all three by the end, and became heavily invested in what would happen to them.
    I had very little knowledge of what it was like in the army or in Afghanistan, the ups and downs, the camaraderie, and afterwards, back in the UK, and am all admiration for the people that do this for real. Thank you. I think this has been the best thing on TV for absolutely ages, and urge the BBC to please, please do another series. One thing though, Tony Grounds has created such a strong love story between Molly and Capt James (what chemistry!! wow) that this must be included in any future series, and preferably with him back in the army!!

40. mik's on October 22, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Jo – Isn’t it funny how we have really been taken over by this series.

I definitely think we got to see a snippet of what life is like for a real soldier. The claustraphoic way in which they have to live and work.

But we also saw the friendships that are formed from that environment. Add to that how we saw all three of the main characters develop before us. With Molly realising that she could achieve something and Charles letting his barrier down. Poor Smurf though with his unrequited love.

Just superb acting from all involved. I do hope we get an opportunity to vote for this in TV award season. They deserve lots of accolades.

and I really hope Danny Cohen at the BBC is reading all our comments and commissions a second series.

41. I******** on October 22, 2014 at 7:41 pm

i think our girl was amazing and now i have fineshed wathcing series one i kind of miss it. xxxxx. it was great show and will be extreamly dissapointed if there isnt a second series

42. Jo on October 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm

mik’s – I suspect you and I could quite happily chat away about Our Girl for hours, best bits, characters etc, etc!!

I don’t usually get so drawn into things, but this has definitely got me.

I was enjoying the programme until about the end of Episode 3 when the love triangle element really started to kick in – after that I was hooked!!

43. Mik's on October 23, 2014 at 8:48 am

Jo – Ditto!

Happy Thursday. I am going to try today not to rewatch any of #OurGirl. I fear I may fail and my whole working at home again hits the floor.

That darn Tony Grounds and his wonderful storyline.

44. Kat on October 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm

LOVED every second the best series drama on TV for many years.Lacey,Ben and the rest of crew were fab.So many thoughts on what should be the next episode maybe l should write it down !!!!.Gotta be more to come please ?

45. Pauline on October 23, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I thought the love triangle story line gave it an added depth, otherwise it would just have been another war story, which has been done over and over. I agree some of the scenes were a bit far fetched and I still cant believe that a trained soldier holding a gun would turn their back and run from the enemy, even if she was trying to get the captain’s attention.

I think it showed wonderfully how people, when put in an challenging environment like a war zone, still have their vulnerabilities and I am sure there are plenty of romances started and ended while on tour. The fact that an officer and a private fall for one another is believable as they are working in close company and risking their lives together. Whether it would last back home where the class difference would be more of an issue, is another matter. I think it showed the respect Capt James had for her and with her confident personality she felt she could be his equal.

I find it quite interesting that the majority who liked the romance were women and the majority who didn’t were men…maybe it just shows the differences between us and guys prefer the action. I’m certainly hoping for a second series with more of the romance please! Well worth the license fee!

46. Helen on October 23, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I must stop watching this. I have just watched episode 4 and 5 again. I have watched both these episodes at least twice a day since Sunday. I think I am going totally mad, an obsession I cant stop. I have joined twitter so I can lobby the bbc and TG to do another series.
    Charles and Molly needs exploring further, I don’t think the class difference will be a problem, Charles is used to all kinds of people. The love and chemistry between them must go on.
    I just wish this series had been longer I think some things were rushed, Molly’s time with Charles could have been more, you never got to see her go to the palace for her military cross. That’s my only downer on it but then again I would be happy if it was on every Sunday night for good. Please everyone lobby the BBC we need more happy ever after drama. Really need to know there will be another series.

47. Jo on October 24, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Mik’s – I am curious – did you manage it? Did you go cold turkey??!!

I have managed one day this week without watching any!!

48. Caroldeeg on October 25, 2014 at 2:04 pm

wonderful series the best BBC had had for years. There has to be another series. Molly will have lots of challenges in the future . Imagine her bringing Capt. James to meet her parents & introducing her family to the bath Family.
    There is a big future for Molly so BBC please do another series.

49. Mik's on October 26, 2014 at 7:20 am

Jo,

My sister is visiting, told me she and not seen it. I forced her to watch this weekend. And she loved it.

But, she said I am obsessed and need help!

Ha ha, no I just need series 2.

I am so glad to see its not just a small group of people that are still talking about it. Twitter, Facebook etc still talking and I am sure at 9 tonight there will be a lot of chatter on the subject as we face a boring Sunday night.

I am listening to the music in the car and at the gym. When I am out walking have it on. I had to download Elton John and Kiki Dee tho. But, someone on twitter is trying to get the cast to release this for Christmas and all proceeds to the forces charities, nice idea.

Its 7.20 and I am wondering too early to watch?

ha ha …..

50. Nicola on October 26, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Well I haven’t managed a day without a fix, just can’t get over it. Have even found a site on the Internet ‘ fanfiction.net’ where the public are writing new chapters just so I can feel I’m still part of Molly and captain charles’ life. Feel bereft tonight, no new episode!

51. Jo on October 26, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Hi Miks – what have the BBC, Tony Grounds, Lacey and Ben done to us all? We all need serious help!!

I was reading an article somewhere about the BBC being delighted that Lacey Turner is back doing Stacey in Eastenders and that they have lined up a lot of big story lines for her. So I am now very worried the Beeb won’t take any notice of people screaming for another series of Our Girl. Also worried that if the BBC don’t hurry up and commission another series, Ben will be snapped up by Hollywood! See – I am defo going crazy!!

52. mik's on October 26, 2014 at 11:11 pm

jo

i think its a given Ben Aldridge will get snapped up don’t you? He is the real deal. Even his nails are perfect!

I hope Lacey Turner and Ben Aldridge will make sure they are available as we really need the next chapters.

Points of View today had a segment with Jeremy Vine saying there was not word on a second series yet but if the public retain was anything to go by then Molly would be back.

What I have found impressive this week is that Tony Grounds has been on Twitter and being in communication with the fans. That shows how important it is to him too.

There are two things on twitter now. One is to keep all the episodes on iplayer for longer than 30 days.
    The second is to have the cast release ‘Don’t go breaking my heart’ with proceeds to the forces charities.
    Tony Grounds has even joined in with the single and saved tweets from people.

it seems we all cannot let Molly and Captain James disappear…

Only way I will be able to stop watching is with a power cut!

53. Kat on October 26, 2014 at 11:41 pm

I have to admit l am an addict l have watched all episodes several times in fact,…… l am too embarrassed to say how many.
    Releasing “Don’t go breaking my heart” would be amazing and would certainly swell the forces charity fund what better way to show the Beeb how much Our Girl has affected us.

54. Helen on October 27, 2014 at 8:41 am

I am starting to feel slightly worried about my marriage! My husband enjoyed Our Girl but isn’t obsessed as I am and he doesn’t understand the need for me to sit watching over and over again all day and night. It means I end up watching during the night once he has gone to bed. I can’t decide whether to say thank you to Nicola or not I found fanfiction and then couldn’t stop reading. Finally at 3.00am when my hubby got up for work I went to bed. No calm in my night.
    Mik you are so right about twitter, I have only just joined twitter, I did it because I wanted to keep Our Girl alive. I have had responses from TG and also from Jacky(Kirsty Averton). Its nice to think that they are all missing Our Girl as much as we are.
    I have been sat thinking why the story has effected me so much, yes Ben is sex on legs and Lacey is a fab actress but deep down I think it’s the fact that I was going to join the RAF 20+ years ago and gave up, overweight, unfit and at the time I suppose it didn’t mean that much to me. Now the story of Molly has brought it all back and I regret not trying harder. I think deep down we all have a bit of Molly in us!
    I have downloaded episode 1 and 2 from the iplayer to give me a bit longer but episode 3 I can’t get to download is anyone else having problems, I have 4 and 5 on the sky+ with a very clear message to my kids not to delete.
    Please bbc at least give us some news!!

55. Mik's on October 27, 2014 at 10:29 am

Helen

I too very nearly signed up around 28 years ago. But, my stepfather talked me out of it. I have had feelings that I should never have listened to him and how different my life would have been had I joined the army.

I think that we are so much more conscious of what our troops go thru having seen them come back at Wotton Bassett or watching them on the Invinctus games etc.

Add to that the current news of us coming out of Bastion.

It also tells us that no matter how bad you think life can be you can break that cycle as Molly did and maybe its sending out that message of hope to us all.

I can’t see this going away and will only grow as we hit next week and the DVD is released. I hope there are some good extras.

I felt very hopeful watching points of view yesterday as I think we will get a second series.

Well lets hope this week we get some news. I would love to see the cast on Graham Norton or something as we have seen so few interviews and it would be great to hear from 2 section, Jackie, Azizi, Quasem etc their thoughts on the fans reactions as well as the main three. It would also be great to hear from Tony Grounds and Nick Preston.

56. Derek on October 27, 2014 at 10:44 am

Anyway, as I said in a previous post, and sorry to repeat, but if this had been ITV they would have announced the second series already. The BBC would rather think up “good storylines” for Lacey in Eastenders. Heaven help us! Come on BBC you have an incredible hit on your hands. Get Series 2 commisioned and release the Prequel and Series 1 in the US on PBS (optional subtitles!) with a Region 1 DVD to follow.

Agreed that whoever chose the music needs special recognition; absolutely perfect. If only the BBC would release a CD. Not so sure about “Don’t go breaking my heart” as a Christmas single. Who would sing it? The scene in Episode 2 featured Molly looking, and singing, in a very self conscious way and of course faded, superbly, into another piece of music. Just release the complete soundtrack as an album for Christmas with proceeds to Help for Heroes. What could be better?

I seem to be very few men posting here but then I am an incurable romantic; Pride and prejudice is my favourite novel! And I was in the Forces so it resonates.

57. Kat on October 27, 2014 at 1:09 pm

This is unreal l am feeling exactly the same way as Helen,Mik and Jo,it has affected me greatly to the point of sleepless nights !!!!.
    When l was a teen l wanted to join RAF also but as Helen was overweight and circumstances at that time in my life made it an impossibility.That was when l was 17 l am now 49,l feel like a love sick teenager who is missing her first love (heaven forbid).
    My partner has ordered the DVD’s but is now getting fed up of me letting Our Girl take over my life, l am sure some people reading this think l am a sad female at 49 but l am far from sad and definately not lonely just a big fan of good drama…..with Our Girl being the best of the best.l would love interviews with cast members over the numerous chat shows on TV. So come on our BEEB do it for your licence holders .

58. Helen on October 27, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Kat – we don’t think your sad we all feel the same way. Couldn’t have put it any better.

59. Kat on October 27, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Helen l have only just joined twitter well as of 10.20 pm 19th Oct just after the finish of 1st series l have no idea what to do l have only just left two messages but hey ho l will get it as it seems one of the few outlets for Our Girl there is.l have how ever found fanfiction.net might even write a chapter or two ha ha,my imagination might get better of me.

60. Nicola on October 27, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Try taking a look on youtube as well for a load of montages put together by clever techy people featuring Molly and our very own Captain James – lovely to see all the best bits together!

61. Mik's on October 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Hello all,

So agree with Derek’s comments if this was an ITV production. It would have been announced, remember the year Downton started and we even get a Christmas special as a separate to the main series.

I am 48 in a few weeks and I don’t feel sad, or lonely. I don’t fancy Ben Aldridge I am moved by the storyline and loooove Captain James and Molly together. One of my favourite books is North & South and I remember when Richard Armitage first appeared as Mr Thornton how I was carried along.
    Again I didn’t fancy the actor himself but loved the character he brought to life.

I think for me thats what I see with Molly and Charles now. Its a Mr Darcy/ Elizabeth storyline.

I have just walked home from the local town listening to London Grammar on my iPod and actually realised that it makes me happy when I think of Our Girl.

So, that is as good a reason to stay fixated on it.

And I am on twitter and am blown away by the amount of people who are tweeting on a daily basis. We really do need to bombard Danny Cohen to announce something already and put us out of our misery.

62. Derek on October 27, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I am very naive when it comes to social networks. I’d really like to get over to Danny Cohen how ridiculous it would be NOT to commission another series. How does one get a specific twitter feed (eg from Danny Cohen) and is it possible to get “messages” to twitterers directly?

I presume one registers then does some sort of name search. Is that correct?

63. Mik's on October 27, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Derek

Danny Cohen is @DannyCohen on twitter and you can tweet his account and it will be in his feed so he can view it.

He has replied to some people and their OG tweets.

Set yourself up on twitter its easy peasy. Here are the handles for some of the others:
    @TonyGrounds, @LaceyTurner, @benaldridge07, @iwanrheon

Twitter is interesting get involved Derek!

64. Jo on October 27, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Helen – I roared with laughter at your post – it is so similar to myself. My husband also watched Our Girl and loved it but doesn’t feel the need to re-watch it, and is highly amused/sarcastic every time he catches me reading anything to do with or watching Our Girl! I have done the late at night watching, early breakfast, quick whilst he is not here watching!! It is definitely my guilty pleasure, which I can only share with you all – who seem to be just as bad!!!!

I too have wondered why this has got to me – can’t say I wanted to join the army. I think it is the love story for me – the lovely gutsy Molly and the gorgeous Capt James, who seems to be just about perfect. And those gorgeous dark eyes… (sorry, I am a sucker for eyes!!)

If you could all choose just one clip to watch again from Our Girl, what would it be? What’s your favourite bit?

65. Mik's on October 27, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Ooh Jo – This is a tough one. I am picking my top 3.

3) Rosabaya, Come back to me.
    2) Last thing I see, Ditto in the bunker
    1) The hospital scene where she ruffles his hair. I have watched that sooooo many times its just adorable.

66. Jo on October 27, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Ha – the hospital scene where she ruffles his hair is my favourite. For just a moment, he is at his weakest and near to tears, she is finally there and he has been to hell and back, and he NEEDS her. And then his son bursts into the room, and the moment is lost!

67. Helen on October 27, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Jo I really can’t pick just one so I’m with Mik my top 3 are Come back to me, last thing I see and the whole scene in the restaurant but I like when he asks if she wants him to choose and she says No, so powerful Molly is totally in control.
    Anyway hubby just gone to bed so guess its time for my daily fix.

68. Miks on October 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I think talking about episode 5 might mean a sneaky viewing….

Cup of tea and then that hair ruffle, ah….. bliss

Helen love the whole restaurant scene also. The furtive looks, the tension. It is amazing the chemistry they have.

Someone on twitter was at an audition this morning and Ben Aldridge was also there. She said was like a stalker watching him so handsome and pretty!

69. Carol on October 27, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I was really getting into this loved it but didn’t realise it had finished I was fuming and was looking for episode 6 but there wasn’t one aaaar hurry up back before I forget what happened in the last episode

70. Kat on October 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm

One of my favourite moments is the ” Rosabayo bring that back and l will adore you forever “…..phew gets me, but that is just one of many,then there is the stretched out hand waiting for hers in hospital bed and the eyes following Molly leaving hospital room when Sam and Rebbeca arrive.Then obviously the smile at the door when Molly says “miss me” that smile gets me tummy somersaulting everytime…..see said l feel like a love sick teen.

71. Marilyn Littleton on October 28, 2014 at 8:44 am

Fab series Sundays will never be the same
    , please make another series. Lacey turner great would love to the series carry on with Dawes and cpt James and bath what a fabulous setting.

72. Diane on October 28, 2014 at 9:22 pm

more please,please,please loved it. Can’t wait for another series. I hope I don’t have to wait to long.

73. debbie on October 29, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Loved the whole series. Sundays will never be the same. Lacey Turner is such a great actress. Please do a series 2 very soon but please can we have more episodes? PLEASE

74. Heidi on October 29, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Just wanna say , Lacey was amazing, and fantastic, loved the whole series, can’t wait for second series, more episodes please as well, miss it already, she was just brilliant !!

75. Helen on October 29, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Hi All, still not getting any better, the nightly routine is now read a bit of the great storylines on fanfiction, look for any new reviews or news and then watch the best bits of episode 3,4 and 5. I have it too a fine art now I can move it on to the exact times I want, episode 3 6minutes – come back to me etc. So now I’m sounding so sad but really don’t know what else to do can’t wait for the DVD next week.
    Wish we had some news, nothing much been said on twitter.

76. Kat on October 30, 2014 at 1:12 am

Hi Helen l have been hunting any bits to watch/read etc fan fiction,twitter,YouTube l have now even joined tumblr even though l have no idea what I’m doing which is the same as twitter seems I cannot even send a reply on that !!!!! will have to wait for son home from uni as cannot ask his nibs he thinks I’m over the edge already ha ha.Well at least we know DVDs are hot off the press and we will get them next week…..although I am saving them to watch on birthday which is day after the main man himself (Ben).Cannot wait.

77. Miks on October 30, 2014 at 7:42 am

I have now started watching Larkrise to Candleford as Ben Aldridge joined it in season 3. I am on season 2 right now.

Its bad I can’t wait for that DVD next week. Yesterday I did not watch Our Girl but, watched lots of vid’s on YouTube and also read the stories on Fanfiction. Some are really good and I enjoyed the next chapters for the Molly and Charles story.

I watched the Missing this week and cannot believe that the BBC commissioned eight episode for that and only five for Our Girl. Does not make sense to me.

78. Anne on October 30, 2014 at 11:39 am

Hi everyone, have just spent a happy few minutes reading all your comments – its so good to know how many people there are who feel exactly the same as me about Our Girl. I miss it like mad and am waiting for the email/twitter to say a second series is on the way. Just had my morning fix watching some of the U Tube videos – come back to me is my favourite.

79. Derek on October 30, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Sorry to keep repeating myself but we need to raise the profile of our girl in the USA. http://www.amazon.com only has 2 reviews of our girl. Miks and myself. Please go there and leave a review. Popularity in the States will increase the chances of a new series.

80. Mik's on October 30, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Anne, Agree with you on the youtube videos. Watch the ones from Elena Vas. really superb.

I have today had to do a sneaky episode 3 watch.

Not long until Monday and DVD release day…

81. Anne on October 30, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Mik`s, will check them out on my next fix session! Have been checking out fanfiction.net today instead of u tube!

Can`t wait for the DVD either as only have episodes 4 and 5 on Sky+.

82. Kat on October 30, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Hi Derek l have put a review on Amazon first review on there lol but as you say we have to keep on raising profile

83. Mik's on October 30, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Anne, I think fan fiction is so good. Never been on there before but I have to say it has kept me going this week.

Lacey Turner was out in London for the British Legion and London Poppy Day. She was with Prince Harry and David Cameron who both said they loved Our Girl. Tony Grounds tweeted me.

Seems everyone loves Molly Dawes…

84. Anne on October 30, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Hi Mik`s, I`ve only found fan fiction this week too – spend some

time trying to find anything to do with Our Girl and the music from it. That`s great getting a tweet from Tony Grounds and I saw loads of photos on Twitter about the London Poppy Day. He also put photos on Twitter on Sunday, stills from the filming – did you see them?

85. Kat on October 31, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Well all looks quiet l am addicted to fan fiction read every story and updates have read a couple of chapters on Tumblr,don’t seem to find much reading on twitter does anyone know of anywhere else l can get fix(of our girl).Yes l have watched all of series and DVD is on way so pls help.

86. Mandy Cooke on November 13, 2014 at 12:17 am

Have just found this site
    Loved both the 2013 film and the 1st series. Would love to aee a second series. Have got both DVDs love them and I play them quite regularly.

87. Elaine on November 16, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Is this what life is really like for a girl medic in the army?

88. Elsa Johnson on November 18, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Our Girl cannot end here. Unfinished business.
    There has to be a second series