Glee: Preliminary autopsy and toxicity results show Cory Monteith passed away from a drugs overdose, with Heroin and Alcohol involved

Cory Monteith Glee

It seems we’re one step closer to finding out the reason behind Cory Monteith’s untimely passing on Saturday afternoon.

A preliminary set of results have been issued from the BC Coroners Service which states that the 31-year-old Glee star passed away from a drug overdose.

According to yesterday’s autopsy and toxicity screening, Monteith – who is best known for his role as Finn on FOX’s Glee – died of what is referred to as a ‘mixed drug toxicity’ with heroin and alcohol being among the substances found in his body.

Monteith has been very open about his problem with substance abuse over the years and even voluntarily entered rehab earlier this year. Upon exiting the facility in April, he seemed to be doing fine, but according to the results, it looks like a relapse could have been possible.

However, Coroners Service spokeswoman, Barb McClintock has said that the investigation is still very much ongoing and a full report will be issued when the investigation comes to an end.

Speaking on behalf of the actor’s family, McClintock asked that their privacy is respected at this difficult time.

She said: “On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time”.

Cory Monteith passed away in his hotel room on Saturday morning, in which his body was found by cleaning staff who went to check on Monteith after he failed to check out of the hotel on time


Others were staying with Monteith, but video footage and fob key data shows that he returned to his room alone in the early hours of Saturday morning, which is when he passed away, according to the Vancouver Police.

At the time, the police said that there was no “foul play” involved in Monteith’s death.

The report that was issued with today’s results reads:

VICTORIA – The BC Coroners Service has confirmed the cause of death for Cory Monteith.

Post-mortem testing, which included an autopsy and toxicological analysis, found that Mr. Monteith, aged 31, died of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol.

Mr. Monteith was found deceased in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, shortly after noon on July 13. He had checked into the hotel on July 6 and had been expected to check out on the 13th. When he had not done so, hotel staff checked his room and found him deceased.

The investigation into this death by the BC Coroners Service is continuing, and no other details are available at this time. It should be noted that at this point there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith’s death was anything other than a most-tragic accident. When the investigation is concluded, a Coroners Report will be issued.

Mr. Monteith’s family has been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the death. On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.

The BC Coroners Service expresses its sincere condolences to Mr. Monteith’s family and friends.

Related: ,