Sherlock: Lara Pulver spent eight hours shooting her naked scene – expected Benedict Cumberbatch fans to hate her!

Lara Pulver is not afraid to suffer for her craft and the stunning actress has admitted that she spent a whopping eight hours filming her naked scene for BBC drama Sherlock.

The 31 year old English star caused quite the stir when she appeared on the cult series earlier this year, in her rather fetching birthday suit. We still don’t know how Benedict Cumberbatch managed to deliver his lines!

Lara became a fan favourite, after she wore just a pair of high heeled Louboutin shoes and classy diamond earrings and she commanded our respect even more, when we discovered that she opted not to wear the normal modesty preserving stick on bra pads and flesh coloured pants.

In a new interview with The Evening Standard, the brunette beauty insisted that the naked body is nothing to be embarrassed about and explained:

‘I think the human form is something to celebrate. And you don’t actually see anything anyway.’

She added:

‘That’s why we spent eight hours shooting that scene because if you saw a tiny bit of nipple…

‘It is so cleverly shot by [director] Paul McGuigan, that it is what you don’t see that makes your imagination go crazy.’

The unflappable actress went on to reveal that she was surprised by the amount of guidelines and dictacts issued by channel bosses before she filmed the scenes and continued:

‘Our producer was going through it with the BBC: “So you can have one out-of-focus buttock but not two out-of-focus buttocks.’ It was kinda hilarious what she had to adhere to.”‘

Lara also admitted that she was excited about playing Irene Adler in the iconic detective drama, because she hoped that if she got the role right, it would go down a storm with Benedict’s large and very ardent fanbase.

She was also slightly worried that they would respond jealously to her interactions with their idol and said:

‘I thought I would get lovers of Benedict going, “He can’t have a love interest” but it was the complete opposite.”

‘I think they enjoyed the match of the two of us.

‘If it had just been about a sexual attraction, people would have thought: “Why her? There are people who are more beautiful.”‘

Pulver also recently admitted that she would love to return to Sherlock and would be completely open to rejoining the cast, when the third series starts filming in 2013.

However, she has quashed rumours that she will be playing the Doctor in Doctor Who any time soon, saying that it was a pure coincidence that she was working in Wales, when the most recent series of the BBC Sci-Fi show was being filmed.

Would you like to see Holmes and Adler in a rematch in the next series of Sherlock? Leave your comments below.

Also, if you are a fan of the show, then you’ll be glad to know that Benedict has promised fans he won’t be leaving any time soon and with that in mind, you should definitely check out this great fan run Facebook page for the show. It will keep you up to date with all the latest related news and gossip over the next few series’ at least!

Related: ,

1. MindCut on June 16, 2012 at 11:46 pm

There accually is a nipple beetween 1:30 and 1:35. When she’s standing up.If you stop at the right time, you can see it.

2. Lisa McGarry on June 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I love your attention to detail! lol

3. justhere on June 17, 2012 at 12:01 am

I think one of the reasons she was taken so well was the fact that she affirmed the relationship between John and Sherlock. Johnlock shippers dig it.

4. me on June 17, 2012 at 12:35 am

Is the video reversed or is it just me?

5. mj on June 17, 2012 at 12:44 am

No way should that repulsive excuse for a character return. Irene is an embarrassment to the show. And how is not preserving modesty a reason for more respect? It baffles the mind.

6. Laol on June 17, 2012 at 12:50 am

Love the way John glances at Sherlock when Irene says “Somebody loves you!”

7. Phil on June 17, 2012 at 12:52 am

Why must a woman get things because of sex. Irene Adler was an intelligent woman, not a dominatrix who “Knows what they want.”
    That being said, she’s still an attractive woman.

8. Posh on June 17, 2012 at 2:34 am

I personally didn’t care for this episode because it seemed like the producers were trying to push the possibility of a relationship onto Sherlock; since he’s so asexual they had to use a hypersexualized character who really wasn’t as intelligent as the show seemed to insist on her being. She took nude photos of someone she was dominating. Sooooo difficult. Sure, it was implied that person was royalty but doing something that people do everyday wasn’t really a convincing display of her intellect. I hope she doesn’t come back because the character herself is supposed to be a very small portion of the Sherlock universe and one that feels complete. I think Lara Pulver did an excellent job playing the character that they wanted (though I don’t know why they didn’t use an American actress for canon purposes) but I wasn’t sad to see the episode finish.

9. Vollar on June 17, 2012 at 2:43 am

I’d love to have her back. She did an amazing job, and her episode is by far my favorite episode of the show.
    Jolly good!

10. Rukus on June 17, 2012 at 3:31 am

Don’t bring her back – Irene was only in one and a bit stories in ACD canon, no need to give her more attention. It only detracts from the solider, more permanent relationships between Sherlock, John, Lestrade, etc.
    Besides, Sherlock is asexual in canon – there is not and will never be any sexual feelings on his part; the attraction in their relationship is purely on an intellectual level.

11. eris on June 17, 2012 at 3:32 am

‘Scandal in Belgravia’ is my favourite episode of the series. Irene Adler is an iconic character and I enjoyed Lara Pulver’s portrayal. I don’t know how closely the showrunners are going to follow the original stories in future seasons, but it would be great to see the character return.

12. tyc on June 17, 2012 at 3:55 am

I would love to have her back. Irene Adler is such an important character in the original Sherlock series, and i don’t think the show is making her look like just a woman who get what she want through sex. This is just one of the ways. And she is such a highlight to the show! even when she is clothed!

13. ron on June 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

noooo..she is quite right .. i am jealous . Sherlock cannot have a love interest and thats that ..

14. Xingxing on June 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Meh, she’s not Sherlock’s love interest. John is and always will be…
    I mean, seriously, she spent the whole show flirting with Sherlock who won’t even go out to dinner with her, and who did Sherlock take out to dinner in S1E1? I rest my case.

15. Levi Lee on June 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm

She’s “THE WOMAN” and of course there must be another run at one another. Those two spark on camera as it should be. But whatever the writers do: please don’t kill her off. I enjoy Sherlock’s reaction to her and John’s upcoming hatred of her.

16. Nel on June 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm

WE WANT IRENE ADLER BACK!! Sherlock plus her are so perfect!!!!

17. Manyota on June 18, 2012 at 5:17 am

it’s not about her. Its about Sherlock handling her nudity. And for future episodes any person who has at least a little potential to irritate or provoke him (canon or not canon, I don’t care) in a kind of sexual or at least romantic way would be exciting. John Watson of course would be interesting for this “task” 😀

18. Kelly on June 19, 2012 at 1:18 am

I agree Nel…I thought it was a great episode!I am so want to know where Irene went after Sherlock told her to run…

19. alex on June 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm

yeah Sherlock and Irene were cute….. but y’know, being an adamant Johnlock shipper, I kinda got a little trotted off. BUT I LOVE LARA PULVER SO MUCH IT HURTS okay

AND I would love to see her in Doctor Who! I’m excited about all these coming up and if she returns to Sherlock in the new series! (but seriously, please dont ruin Johnlock, thank you) OH and I loved that episode btw, especially when Sherlock and John were at the palace, joking around and stuff. 🙂

20. rs on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm

She did great with the part! John was so jealous hehehe!

21. FireSword on June 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Lara did a great job! The idea and her play matched perfectly! It blasted my mind! As for Sherlock, yes, I think that is to show his mind does not get affected, even when you feel you can’t control your imagination. But that does not mean he is indifferent to Irene. Even she can’t bother him, he thinks she is special in his unique mathematical, logical, robotic way….

22. newlylocked on July 10, 2012 at 12:16 am

My favorite returning line was “Let’s have dinner.” She obviously didn’t mean FOOD, and every time Sherlock turned her down it lent a wonderful frustration to Lara Pulver’s character. Now they’ve got Irene frustrated because she can’t get what she wants, the fans are frustrated because they can’t get what they want (because some of us WANT Sherlock and Irene to get busy, but some don’t because that would mean Sherlock is taken. We mustn’t disappoint the Cumberbabes) and in the end, there’s a perverse sort of satisfaction for everyone.
    However, if Sherlock managed to slip out and save Irene from the terrorists, who says they can’t meet up somewhere and *ahem* have dinner without John’s knowledge? I say let the fans have at that one. Sherlock’s a crafty beast.