Red or Black? hosts Ant and Dec have told TV Biz that they, and the show’s bosses, have learned from mistakes made in last year’s debut series.
As fans of the show may recall, last year the ITV show aired every night for a week, and was dogged by one controversy after another, such as the revelation that its first millionaire winner, Nathan Hageman, had previously been convicted for assaulting a woman.
The Geordie lads are of course currently filming the show’s second series – which has already seen one lucky winner landing TV’s biggest ever cash prize of £1.5million – but during a break in recording, Dec TV Biz, “We kind of figured it was a Saturday night show last year.
“We all got that wrong and hold our hands up to that…
“When we had a winner on the first night, we all got back to our dressing room and said, ‘We shouldn’t be doing this again tomorrow, it should be weekly.’
“In hindsight, we shouldn’t have done it every night. It would have been nice to do six weeks on a Saturday night.
“And we had some unfortunate situations with some of the contestants, which overshadowed the show, probably disproportionately.”
And of the debacle over Hageman, Ant said, “We know we have a great set of contestants [this year] and have all been looked at so we don’t have that to worry.”
The first series, which aired last September, of course featured hundreds of contestants being reduced each night over ten rounds until only a few remained.
However, this year, there are fewer contestants, and Ant and Dec are hoping that will make viewers more interested in those taking part.
Dec said, “It is nice starting with eight and getting to know them a bit more and investing in them a bit more.
“The changes have made it a better show. It is still electric and the end game is very exciting.”
The new series will air in August.