Stuart Hall allegedly charged with abusing girls “as young as 8 years old” while Corrie star Andrew Lancel quits panto role
As you’re probably aware, former It’s A Knockout host Stuart Hall – who currently presents a Radio 5 Live show – was arrested earlier this week after allegations of child sex abuse were made against him.
He was arrested at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, and taken to a nearby police station for questioning while officers searched his home for evidence.
It’s understood that his arrest was not linked to the Jimmy Savile police inquiry, Operation Yewtree.
The Sun reports that 82 year old Hall was accused of three counts of indecent assault which are alleged to have taken place in the 1970s and ’80s.
The paper adds, “One of the alleged victims was said to be aged eight or nine years. Another was 13 and the third 16 or 17.”
A witness said, “I saw several police cars and some officers carrying plastic boxes. There’ve been police at the house nearly all day.”
Hall has been bailed and will appear before magistrates in Preston on January 7. John Dilworth, who’s head of the Crown Prosecution Service North West Complex Casework Unit, said, “Following investigations by Lancashire Police into allegations of sexual assault by Stuart Hall, I have reviewed all the evidence and authorised them to charge him with three counts of indecent assault.
“The charges are that between 1 September 1974 and 31 December 1974 he indecently assaulted a woman who was then aged 16 or 17 years.
“That between 1 January 1983 and 31 December 1983 he indecently assaulted a girl then aged eight or nine years.
“And that between 1 July 1984 and 27 September 1984 he indecently assaulted a girl then aged 13 years.”
As to whether Hall would be allowed to continue his work on Radio 5 Live, a BBC spokesperson said, “In light of the very serious nature of these charges, Stuart Hall will not be working at the BBC while the police continue with their inquiries.”
Yesterday, Andrew issued a statement which read, “I am sorry to the thousands of people who have bought tickets to see me and the show.
“But I know the fantastic cast and wonderful company will deliver a truly amazing experience.
“Meantime I will continue developing new projects whilst spending time with my beautiful family and clearing my name.”
The pantomime’s promoters, Core Promotions Ltd, said, “It is with regret that we announce Andrew Lancel’s departure from Sleeping Beauty due to personal reasons.”
What a sad state of affairs this all is. I just hope the lives of these men aren’t being permanently blighted for what might turn out to be knee jerk witch hunt in the wake of the Savile scandal.
Here’s a reminder of Stuart hosting It’s A Knockout…