Throughout telly history there have been some marvellous couples who, without each other, wouldn’t have been anywhere near as entertaining… or would they?
One of my favourite fictional TV couples of all time was Den and Angie and although Den ended up coming back as a distinct character and separate from Angie, she never quite made the grade as a lone character and following her split from Den, quietly sloped off our screens.
Hilda Ogden and her hen-pecked Stan were another brilliant couple as were Jack and Vera Duckworth, and for me, Jack just isn’t the same without his V. Maybe it’s because as a couple, these characters constantly ‘spark’ off each other and they become so intrinsically reliant upon each other for the depth of their characters, they just can’t pull it off alone.
There are exceptions to this though such as Ross and Rachel in Friends who were equally as good alone as they were together. Carrie and Big in Sex and the City were likewise convincing apart or as one as was Pauline Fowler of the much less glamourous Eastenders. When Arthur died, Pauline’s character continued to be a strong one and she spent many single years on the Square.
Many TV sitcoms have been designed around a couple of course, such as George and Mildred, Fawlty Towers, Gavin and Stacey and Terry and June so evidently, there’s something inherently comedic about couples. But they work just as well in dramas and Lost just wouldn’t be the same without Kate constantly transferring her affections from Sawyer to Jack.
Then of course we have shows that involve real life couples, perhaps most notably Richard and Judy, and the variety of shows that have spun off from Peter Andre and Katie Price’s relationship. The Osbournes have similarly achieved and fame and popularity through togetherness whereas for the likes of Gordon Ramsay – who became famous as a single entity rather than a couple – the fact that we now know his family as well as him may in fact be his downfall since evidence of his adultery has come to light.
But back to fictional couples and the big question, who’s the best? Here’s a list of my top ten choices of great TV couples and a little clip with each that demonstrates why they’re so good together…
1. Den and Angie – Eastenders. This clip shows their infamous trip to Venice
2. Charlene and Scott – Neighbours. The clip below shows the Aussie couple getting a new bed… shock horror!
3. Jack and Vera – Coronation Street. This clip is from the very sad episode in which Vera died… hankies at the ready!
4. Ross and Rachel – Friends. The clip below is the one where Rachel finds out that Ross was prepared to save the day and take her to the prom…
5. Jim and Barbara – Royle Family. This classic clip shows how life for TV couples doesn’t always run smoothly and here, Jim and Barbara aren’t speaking because Nana’s nicked Jim’s batteries…
6. Buffy and Angel – Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This clip is just a celebration of their love… awwww vampires can be so cute.
7. Tim and Dawn – The Office. Here’s a clip when they finally get together…
8. George and Mildred – George and Mildred. This clip is from the spin-off movie of the series and shows the couple at their niggling best!
9. Kate and Sawyer – Lost. This clip is a montage of the highlights of the Kate-Sawyer-Jack love triangle
10. Tom and Barbara – The Good Life. In this clip, Tom spills gravy over Barbara and as she’s feeling unglamourous, she goes a bit berserk
Let us know who your favourite TV couples are!