Yay it looks like Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be in Sherlock for a long, long time!

When we fall in love with a show as much as we have with Sherlock, one of our biggest fears is that the main actor will do a Christopher Eccleston and decide to leave, just as we’re getting totally addicted.

So thankfully, it seems that Benedict Cumberbatch is fairly dedicated to staying on board with BBC drama Sherlock.

Despite being cast in some major movies of late – he will star in the new Star Trek film, The Hobbit and Twelve Years A Slave (opposite Brad Pitt) – the English star has insisted that he is committed to the series that catapulted him into the spotlight.

The Beeb has already commissioned a third series of the hit detective drama and it has been reported that filming will start early next year – schedules permitting.

In a new interview with TVLine Benedict tried to set fans’ minds at ease, saying:

“It’s something I’m not going to give up on. I love it too much. It’s hard work, but it’s so rewarding and such a lovely bunch of people who do it.

“We love our fans and we love what it’s created. It’s an incredible thing to be part of [and] it doesn’t happen that often. Don’t worry, it’s not going to disappear.”

Phew! It even seems as if Benedict will be on board for a long time after the third series, as long as more runs get commissioned and he added:

“I’d like to see [Sherlock] getting older. We’re starting quite young. It’s rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I’ve got a way to go. I mean, I’m only 35.

“We only do three [episodes] at a time, so I think the normal fear of over-stretching the mark and just doing too many [doesn’t apply].”

That’s a weight off our mind.

Life has gotten pretty interesting for Cumberbatch of late and as well as being recognised for his acting talents, the actor has also received accolades for his brooding good looks.

After topping a poll naming the ‘Sexiest Man Alive’, Benedict admitted that he finds the whole pinup idea a bit odd……looking at him we don’t at all.

So are you happy to hear that Sherlock looks set to continue for the forseeable future? Leave your comments below….

1. JoAnne on June 15, 2012 at 1:52 am

Great and hurry up!

2. Victoria Baljo on June 15, 2012 at 1:53 am

We are happy to hear…Cannot wait until the next three installments are ready for viewing…Go Benedict…We are glad you are staying with it for a while longer..

3. JesseLS on June 15, 2012 at 1:53 am

My husband and I are HUGE fans here in Pennsylvania! We are spreading the word to all of our friends and family to watch! So happy to hear there are going to be more. We are Sherlock fans for life! 🙂

4. Archer on June 15, 2012 at 1:58 am

That’s cool…

As long as they get a new head writer who can write more than one character.

5. Stephanie on June 15, 2012 at 2:16 am

Love this new Sherlock. I adored Jeremy Brett for the 1800’s Sherlock. The new series is edgy and electric!

6. LarryH on June 15, 2012 at 2:21 am

Great… i am definitely Sher-locked into watching as long as they make them.

7. Linda on June 15, 2012 at 2:25 am

So happy to hear this. I hope it applies to Martin Freeman as well. It’s a two person show. Other characters could be replaced (though I hope the current actors for Lestrade, Mrs Hudson, and Molly will always be a part of the show).

8. Dixie Lily on June 15, 2012 at 2:30 am

I can’t believe I’m so in love with this show. There’s just something so fantastic about the relationship between Benedict and Martin and the rest of the cast and that’s what makes the show so great! Please keep them coming…and please consider more and sooner!!

9. Natasha Lacey on June 15, 2012 at 2:36 am

I am ADDICTED to this brillant show! I came across the first episode of season 2 on PBS (St. Louis) and it was love at first view. I look forward to many more episodes. Sher-Locked? Bloody Hell, I am!

10. Mrs Cumberbatch on June 15, 2012 at 2:41 am

I’m sooooo pleased to hear Ben say this! Sherlock is the best show on TV, it’s classy and brilliant 🙂 Each episode is like a movie and it keeps people hooked even while it’s off air for almost 2 years. The cast are great and I hope that they all continue with the show – it’ s quality drama that I imagine they are all very proud of.

11. Alyssa on June 15, 2012 at 2:53 am

Yahooooooo!!!!!!!!!

12. Sher-locked 4 Life on June 15, 2012 at 3:10 am

Great interview; brilliant (and funny!) actor. Can’t wait for Season 3. Episode One of Season 2 was HOTTTTT!

13. ML on June 15, 2012 at 3:27 am

Terrific production…great rapport with the actors…when does it come back on PBS here in the States?

14. Conchs82 on June 15, 2012 at 3:39 am

I am also totally addicted! I am wearing out mt I-pad watching the 6 shows that are available so far. It is pretty embarrassing & fun at the same time. I also have my Cumberbatched mug.

15. Madelynne on June 15, 2012 at 3:52 am

I am Sher Locked!!!! So happy to hear this news. The best Sherlock since Jeremy Brett.

16. gayle on June 15, 2012 at 3:58 am

So happy to hear this! Shows of this quality are few and far between.

17. Elliot on June 15, 2012 at 4:21 am

My favorite show on television. Funny, thrilling, witty, complex, enticing, scary and frankly, Benedict Cumberdatch is the man.

18. Dooogala on June 15, 2012 at 4:38 am

it must be rough committing to 3 whole shows per series

19. Heidi on June 15, 2012 at 5:53 am

I preferred watching RDJ playing Tony Stark playing Sherlock Holmes but this show’s really good too. It’s darker, which is probably more accurate, and less to my taste than the other, but still really awesome. Either way it’s good to hear this, I don’t like people who bail as soon as they’re big enough to catch more glamorous jobs.

20. Caylee on June 15, 2012 at 6:03 am

It’s Martin Freeman (Watson) starring in The Hobbit, not Benedict. And yes, definitely my favorite show, indeed, the only one I watch!

21. Doro on June 15, 2012 at 6:42 am

@Caylee
    Martin will bilbo, and Benedict will be providing his facial expressions and his voice for the dragon Smaug.

But I am soo happy that Sherlock is coming back for a couple of times! Here in Germany are a lot of fans, finally a BBC show that’s getting it deserved attention in here! (The most people here don’t know Doctor Who -.- its a shame!)

22. Neslyn on June 15, 2012 at 6:57 am

So excited for the next season!!! Definitely the best show! Love to see Benedict Cumberbatch again! 🙂

23. lucia on June 15, 2012 at 7:36 am

yesyesyes! we wqnt as much Sherlock as we can get!

24. Annie MacS on June 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm

So glad to hear! My hubby and I love Sherlock and can’t wait for new episodes~

25. Mary on June 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I am “Sherlocked” from Canada, thank you so much for this wonderfull show who give me so much happyness, please do more !!! I am waiting already ♥

26. Linda Cacaci on June 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I am so happy to hear this. I just wish the wait for the next installment wasn’t so long!
    Linda Cacaci
    LinCaca3@aol.com

27. Kelly on June 16, 2012 at 12:53 am

Very pleased!

28. Kelly on June 16, 2012 at 12:54 am

Very pleased! 🙂

29. Sarah on June 16, 2012 at 1:28 am

SOOO thrilled that he plans to stick with it! Can’t wait for the third series!!! 😀

30. Louise on June 16, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I can´t wait to see more of Benedict Cumberbatch (in Sherlock) 😀

31. Victoria Moore on June 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for coming back as Sherlock. I’ve had my heart broken by so many shows that went off the air so I’m overjoyed that you’ll be back. I can’t wait!

32. Victoria Moore on June 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you a thousand times for coming back as Sherlock! I can’t wait. You continue to inspire me, so I’m very excited and happy.

33. Michelle on June 17, 2012 at 5:09 am

That’s definitely good to hear. My three favorite shows are Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Merlin (and I’m from the States!!) Along with David Tennant and Colin Morgan, Benedict Cumberbatch is one of my favorite actors. The talent this man has is phenominal, and I fully believe he deserves all the attention he’s getting. I was even more convinced of his talent after seeing him him in “Hawking.” Brilliant! (And that voice!) I’ve never looked so forward to a Star Trek movie. Ever. And I only watched the first one after finding out he’s in the sequel. I look forward to seeing him in many other projects, because he’s one of the best actors out there right now.

34. Juliana on July 25, 2012 at 11:45 pm

He looks to be such a nice person!